What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ARMREST support mods?

RickWoodall

Well Known Member
A long time ago i saw a mod someone created using angle underneath the arm rests. I need to do that now. I looked at a pile of rv's at osh and this seems like a point wher due to pushing to sit up,and climbing in the weak area often kinks.

Anyone have some pics of the way they reinforced it and if it worked well?

Hmm...I did it on both sides of mine, and would do it again. I've used the armrest numerous times to get in and out during construction.

5-25-07-007w.jpg

5-25-07-008w.jpg

Then painted and riveted...

5-27-07-001w.jpg

:cool:

Rick-

I've done the same thing as Chad, basically. All it takes is one passenger who doesn't know that you're not supposed to push down on the armrest getting out and you'll end up with a bent armrest. I've seen the results at fly-ins.

One suggestion I'd make in addition to Chad's version, is that using two little additional pieces of angle to attach the armrest to the bulkheads, fore and aft really stiffens things up even more than the long piece does. I think I looked at Jerry Thorne's website for the idea.

Good luck.

Great

Thanks all. That link to the old threads was much appreciated. (didnt find in my search??) Always very helpful.

Time and trouble always appreciated.

Rick-

One suggestion I'd make in addition to Chad's version, is that using two little additional pieces of angle to attach the armrest to the bulkheads, fore and aft really stiffens things up even more than the long piece does. I think I looked at Jerry Thorne's website for the idea.

Good luck.

That's how Van did it in the RV6........:D

ARMREST.jpg

It has .063 angle on the aft edge for rigidity. This mod supports a great deal of pressure right where you tend to push.

-Jeff

Little confused

What failure mode are we trying to prevent? If you've seen/had one bend, how did it bend? In the center, or at the ends?

Thanks, Rick 90432 - in prime position to reinforce!

Armrest failure modes

The armrest could bend in the middle most likely. Consider a worst case, it could pull some of the rivets through the fuselage skin or deform it.

The first RV-9A I sat in was a tip-up. It was difficult to get in and out for fear of bending something, or making my sore joints even more painful. The owner warned me about not pushing on the armrests and that got my full attention when it came time to build my RV-9A.

Getting in and out easily was also why I build a slider. The center post bracing the windshield steel roll bar makes the perfect hand hold.

Armrest Mod

I would definitely encourage you to reinforce the armrest. I reinforced mine just like Chad's. I have actually seen bent armrest deform outer skin as in Jerry's thread. Sad, eh? Only time and a few ounces of angle are necessary for mod.

Back