What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What kind of hose??

szicree

Well Known Member
Ok, I'm gonna make my own hoses, but am baffled by all the different choices. Assuming Aeroquip for oil and fuel, do I go 303, 601, 701, etc.? Also, I think Van's says no sleeve required for oil, but I dunno. Also, should the fittings in the cooler be steel or is alum ok?

The fittings going into the oil cooler can be aluminum. BUT!!! Never assemble, not even once, the fittings without EZ Turn or some other thread lubricant. Many oil coolers have been ruined by threads galling and seizing up. Aluminum against aluminum can be asking for trouble without lube. They don't even make a good flower pot after they are wrecked.

I suppose the argument can be made, that, in the case of a baffle mounted cooler, one should use steel fittings. I do not know if that is necessary, maybe so.

Yeah do yourself a favor and take the weight penalty and use steel fittings that will screw into anything aluminum using NPT threads. Aluminum into aluminum is asking for trouble.

Also this is a great source for all your AN needs.

http://www.anplumbing.com/shop/index.php

-Jeff

Last edited:
I agree

And every kind of steel fitting is sold at your local hydraulics shoppe...They are called JIC fittings but are exactly the same as AN fittings

Frank

Back