What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eglin/Valparaiso terminal area flights

Redbud40

Well Known Member
I am planning a flight to KDTS, Destin , any gouge on gettting in and out VFR. Day sightseeing flights while we are there. I will be arriving from the NW. Map just says contact Eglin if on one of the corridors. Coming from NW not really on the corridor. Looks like lots of areas to get yelled at by some agency!!

I am planning a flight to KDTS, Destin , any gouge on gettting in and out VFR. Day sightseeing flights while we are there. I will be arriving from the NW. Map just says contact Eglin if on one of the corridors. Coming from NW not really on the corridor. Looks like lots of areas to get yelled at by some agency!!

Mike you will be fine don't overthink it. ATC is very accommodating and courteous. They won't lose you at any height. Great service from Lynx at Destin. Been there a month or so ago good experience. Scenic flights are scenic in their own way.

I passed through Eglin a couple months ago and landed at Destin for lunch. Had flight following. It was a non-event.

29571240_10155563744851538_4388257288464767832_n.jpg

21432944_10155563744956538_8672309411048968144_n.jpg

Last edited:
Take the Beach Route!

Take the online training mentioned above. (Put coordinates for White Point and Field 2 into your GPS for situational awareness in case of poor visibility).

You can get flight following and go to Crestview then to KDTS for the North/South corridor. My last flight into KDTS via North/South they put me right down the main runway at Eglin/VPS.

Coming in from the West get flight following to KJKA then KDTS via the beach route. ATC will give you a couple of different altitude choices as you will pass by/through airspace of NAS Pensacola and Hurlburt Field enroute to Destin. If the weather is nice I like the beach route at or below 1000' all the way to KDTS.

A good morning beach run is to leave KDTS and take the beach route to the East at or below 1000' down to the Panama City Beach area and then back to KDTS.

Pay attention to "vectors for traffic" and you'll get to see some very cool airplanes passing by!

Andy

Thanks guys , I figured I would drop down and come in on the beach route. Hopefully the wx will cooperate.

Back