What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to Firesleeve?

szicree

Well Known Member
I'm using 701 hose for all firewall forward stuff but am wondering what the consensus is regarding firesleeve. Certainly the fuel lines, but Vans doesn't say to sleeve the oil cooler lines or sensor lines. Opinions would be appreciated.

Firesleeve

How are you terminating your firesleeve at the ends?
The hose company I talked to at Reno said their goop had a proprietary formula..... :rolleyes:

LOL Proprietary formula huh? Silly them. You can cut the firesleeve to the proper length and goop on a nice layer of orange high temp silicone on the ends with a Popsicle stick. Let that dry and once installed you can wire tie them by looping around the firesleeve near the end and twisting 5 or 6 turns, then lay the twisted wire flat along the firesleeve lengthwise and then loop around again and twist. Basically you will end up with 2 seperate loops spaced about 1/2" apart around the end. Otherwise you can order the bands and pliers from ACS for a cha-ching amount.

ROCKET%20044.jpg

-Jeff

Last edited:
cheap awesome firesleeve

Hi all, just thought I would mention that I was able to protect all of my small wiring that runs close to the exhaust by using the firesleeve retrieved from old auto Oxygen sensors. This is a real good material that has a fiberglass? core, and silicone outer layer. Saved up a bunch from work, (I'm an auto mechanic) cleaned up like new. Comes in 1/4" and 3/16" ID. Used it on my alternator harness, as well as my wiring runs under the intake runners. You can piece it together by butting it up and sliding a piece of heat shrink (adhesive type) over it. Really looks nice, and seems to be a permanent solution to keep radiant heat off of the wires. Contact your local auto shop buddies, and get them to save the old O2 sensors for you. FYI...O2 sensors are wired with tefzel wire, and the real long lead ones are a good place to scrounge short pieces of multicolored tefzel. I know...It sounds like I am a cheapskate, but I really couldn't find anything that suited me for wire sheathing, and this really works great. I saw this stuff in a catalog once, and the price stunned me, something like 13 bucks a foot!!
Hope this helps...
Chris Schmitt
9A 90970 almost there
N614RV

Cheap Firesleeve Clamp Tool

You don't need to use the expensive tool or go the super econo route by using safety wire...

The middle of the road solution is:

http://aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/aqfiresleeve.php

Economy Firesleeve Clamp Tool
P/N 12-00684 $17.70

You can have professional looking clamps with the econo tool. It is easy and fast to use. Their economy tool is nothing more than an automotive CV joint boot clamp tool.

clamp away cheaply...

Rob

How are you terminating your firesleeve at the ends?
The hose company I talked to at Reno said their goop had a proprietary formula..... :rolleyes:
Yea..right.

I admit that this is one area where I prefer the comfort of mind of professionally assembled and pressure tested hoses. I know that they are easy to make yourself....I have all the madrels to prove it. However, I considered that a hose breaking was probably one of the leading risks of engine failure and fire FWF, so I opeted for the additional expense. All my firesleeves are dipped and sealed with the traditional orange goo.

Everything with flammable fluid and wire bundles. Dipped the ends in orange stuff and used safety wire.

hose clamp?

is there a reason not to use a regular steel hose clamp to secure the ends of firesleeve?

Last edited:
Back