What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl Air Intake "Snorkle" Buildup Question

lrfrey

Well Known Member
I'm working on the cowl for a 7A but I think this applies to all models.

The instructions say to bondo a block of foam to the rear of the cowl at the air intake, hollow it out and lay up fiberglass/resin to the inside in order to extend the snorkle back to the airbox.

Why not do the opposite, ie shape the block to the hole in the cowl and lay up fiberglass around the outside of it. Seems like this would be easier, but it also seems there must be a reason why they recomend what they do.

Can't find any threads on this subject. What did y'all do?

Larry

Dont reinvent the wheel ;o)

Once the block is stuck in place, with the cowl installed you hollow out the inlet to match the airbox using a body file. It would be almost impossible to match the inlet to the airbox any other way. Also you will find it is easier to lay the glass inside the hole as opposed to around the block from the backside of the cowling. After I formed my snorkel, I then laid more glass and carbon around the outside of the snorkel from the backside and it was a PITA to make it smooth back there.

http://www.jeffsrv-7a.com/COWLING/06-06-22.htm

-Jeff

COWLING%20076.jpg

When I layed up the first layer of fiberglass, I used a balloon to hold the cloth tightly against the foam mold. This worked very well, and held the shape, and I had a nice sturdy base for the next layers of cloth applied from the other side.

Roberta

cowlinletbu7.jpg

Back