What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Strobe question

speyers

Well Known Member
With the newer style wing tips, W715-1, that allow the incorporation of nav and strobe lights, it is necessary to have a tail light strobe as well? Wondering if there are any angular coverage requirements that whould not be met if only wingtip strobe were installed without a tail strobe.

Strobes must be visible for 360 degrees. If the wingtip strobes cannot be seen from aft, then a tail strobe is required for night flight.

I ended up augmenting my strobe kit with a whelen nav/strobe socket for the tail to complete the spec for night flight. Fits the exsiting fiberglass quite well.

Yes, you need a white light that covers the aft end. The position lights must be controllable separate from the strobes. If the strobes are flashing back at you in the clouds, then you can turn them off. In this case, if you were using your strobe for your tail light, you would have no tail light. Follow Jeff's link to Whelen.

Tracy.

White tail position/strobe light
Part Number = LN A500-14
Price = $136.00

This what many of us have used on the bottom of the rudder. Available from Vans, ACS and many other places. Larry

LARCO said:
White tail position/strobe light
Part Number = LN A500-14
Price = $136.00

This what many of us have used on the bottom of the rudder. Available from Vans, ACS and many other places. Larry

Did the same thing. Purchased from Vans.

I believe you will not need the tail strobe if you place your strobes out on the very tips and not inside the recessed area. That way they are visible from the rear of the plane. not sure if you'd still need the tail light.

I got the Whelen kit from Van's with the red and green wing tip lights, white tail light and three strobes.

Back