What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch and flaps issue

Erimo

Well Known Member
Hello,
I'm in the process of configuration my G3X Touch system (2 GDU460). I have some issues including flaps working.

As the RV14 Van's manual indicate it, the flaps positioning sensor (pos 12) is behind the flaps motor shaft. It wired to GEA 24 and the motor to GAD 27.
When I calibrated the flaps, I create 4 positions from 0 to 32 (numbers of degrees from flat position to full position) with two intermediate positions : 10 and 20. There are two switches (panel and left stick) which work well in manual mode (configuration mode).
When the G3X Touch pass in normal mode, it is impossible to move the flaps normally. They move full down (the motor donesn't stop to run) and the up position switch is inoperative on both switches.
I didn't find any information in the G3X manual about this troubleshooting.
Have you an idea ?
I read a post about this kind of issue and tried to calibrate the pos-12 close to the limits but the result is the same. I'm desperate ! :confused::(

Regards.

The most common problem is the switch is wired upside down.

If you go to the G3X Touch configuration mode and select system info,

then scroll down to the GAD 27 section it should report flap commands.

Is this working correctly?

The most common problem is the switch is wired upside down.

If you go to the G3X Touch configuration mode and select system info,

then scroll down to the GAD 27 section it should report flap commands.

Is this working correctly?

I'll verify tonight. But the flaps move down and up correctly in the configuration mode (manual control).

Hello Eric,

Most typically this symptom is the result of both the flap switch and flap motor inputs to the GAD 27 being wired backwards. As Mark pointed out, you may verify this by examining the reported state of the GAD 27 flap switch inputs on the System Information page in configuration mode.

For further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us via the email address below.

- Matt

Hello Eric,

Most typically this symptom is the result of both the flap switch and flap motor inputs to the GAD 27 being wired backwards. As Mark pointed out, you may verify this by examining the reported state of the GAD 27 flap switch inputs on the System Information page in configuration mode.

For further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us via the email address below.

- Matt

As Mark pointed out, I verified yesterday night the status on the system info page : effectively, the page showed UP when the switches are DOWN and conversely.
So I don't undestand why in the same configuration mode on the engine and aircraft page the flaps and the cursor (on screen) go down when I push down the both switches and conversely.

Matt, I wrote to G3X Expert four days ago but I'm always waiting for an answer ;)

Do you think a wiring mistake ? on the GAD 27 ?

Eric,

You?ll need to flip the wiring on all your switches AND the motor. This will fix your problem. The flap indicator cursor is fine, because it is reading values from your position sensor. Once you flip the wiring of the switches and the motor it will work properly.

Mark

Matt, I wrote to G3X Expert four days ago but I'm always waiting for an answer ;)

Do you think a wiring mistake ? on the GAD 27 ?

Hello Eric,

We don't see an email from you in the [email protected] inbox, so perhaps there was an issue elsewhere, but if you contact us via email we can help you more effectively than via a forum.

As I mentioned, the most likely cause of these symptoms is that both your flap switch and your flap motor are wired backwards from the point of view of the GAD 27. You will need to reverse J271 pins 18/19 and TB273 pins 7/8.

- Matt

I don't know. Probably Matt could explain it. It did not seem to me that I reversed wires, but if in configuration mode the ways were good while in normal mode they were wrong. Just 3 x 2 wires to reverse and it's ok.

Back