What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip Up Conopy Question

Richle

I'm New Here
Does anyone have any information on how to construct targa strip at the rear joint of the conopy?

Targa strip

Richly,
I am at the same Point in my build. I did a search in the forums for targa strip, member Brantel posted quite a nice series of posts regarding how he built his. Search targa strip and you will likely find some info they will help you.

Best,
Ben

Richle,

Welcome aboard VAF (ha, beat Mike S to the punch on this one!). There are several RVs around the Reno area (including about 10 at RTS), so don't hesitate to come visit us or let us know if we can help. I built a Targa strip initially and then decided I didn't want to use it.

cheers,
greg

I made one from fiberglass which did not work as good, so I replaced it with carbon fiber. The key point is to scuff the canopy really good for a good bond. I wrapped the bottom piece (roll bar and baggage side of the canopy) with a thin layer of plastic covering, then started laying down strips of carbon fiber with the canopy in the closed and locked position. Each layer of new CF strip was offset by about 1/8" to help creating a smoother edge. With some sanding, it has turned out to my satisfaction and more and has held up with no issues so far (300+ hours)

Hope this helps but if you have any detailed question, please send me a PM and I be happy to share and possible send you some pix.

Good luck

Back