What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to bolt the a406 aileron bracket

sblack

Well Known Member
The a406 steel aileron bracket has a u-shaped cross section that is 7/16" wide. The 2 an3 bolts that hold it to the aileron are 3/8" across flats. All my 3/8" sockets are bigger in dia. than 7/16". How do you guts stop the bolts from turning so you can tighten the nut when there isn't enough space for a socket or a wrench?

It's called custom tools...... you take a socket and grind it down till it fits. That socket is now part of your aircraft maintenance tools.

I have many open end custom fit tools for my RV. Craftsman tools are cheap and make great custom tools.

There are times that you will have to grind heat and bend to get what you need.

It's called custom tools...... you take a socket and grind it down till it fits. That socket is now part of your aircraft maintenance tools.

I have many open end custom fit tools for my RV. Craftsman tools are cheap and make great custom tools.

There are times that you will have to grind heat and bend to get what you need.

That's going to be one thin socket. But if that's what it takes....

A friend suggested using heat nuts as they are smaller dia. But are they the same strength? Thank you both for the suggestions.

Just surmising here but how about taking a piece of steel flat bar thick enough to fit in between the ears on it's edge and long enough to hold sticking out the bottom. Grind/file a slot in it's edge the width of the nut and use it to hold the upper nut, tighten then move to the lower nut. Or make two slots the right spacing and hold both at once.

Back