What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fairing securement

acam37

Well Known Member
I've got to make new upper gear leg fairings and was wondering what was the best way to secure them? Do they need to flex with the gear?

I used #6 flathead screws and platenuts in the wing root fairing and fuse belly/cockpit floor. Works great. No, I don't believe the intxn fairing flexes with the gear leg. Hope this helps.

Upper gear leg fairings attachments

Hi Arlie. If you go to the Fairings-Etc website there are some basic instructions on how we recommend our fairings are attached. There is no hard set way to do it. Your fairings attachments shouldn't be to much different than ours. We recommend 4ea #8 screws/nutplates and Tinnerman washers.

Steve Barnes owner Fairings-Etc http://www.fairings-etc.com

Cool. I know this is not rocket science. I was just curious how other people were attaching the fairings. No need to re-invent the wheel.

What I did

Mine are handmade as are most, but are similar in look to the Fairings,ect style. Mine are one piece, split at the trailing edge. I have 4 #8 flush screws into standard nutplates. 2 are in the lower cowling, and 2 are in the small rounded fuselage close-out fairing.The gear leg fairing moves a bit with landing, but the split trailing edge allows the intersection fairing to expand if needed. I may try to post pics later when Im back at my hangar, as I have them off now and re-installing this eve.

I had a good conversation with Steve Barnes on the phone and decided to buy the gear fairings instead of fabricate them. While we were talking about my securement delima, he never once tried to push his product on me. Very classy guy IMHO. After going back and looking at his website I ordered a set. (Im sick of fiberglassing at this point)

fairings are a pain

I had a good conversation with Steve Barnes on the phone and decided to buy the gear fairings instead of fabricate them. While we were talking about my securement delima, he never once tried to push his product on me. Very classy guy IMHO. After going back and looking at his website I ordered a set. (Im sick of fiberglassing at this point)

agree, buy the fairings, put them on and go fly. done.

3 screws on mine.
IMG_1598.JPG

IMG_1600.JPG

Then the leg fairing is attached to the top of the gear leg only.
IMG_1473.JPG

Back