What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old Style Wing Tip Lens

It seems that 22 years is about the on wing life span of the old style RV-4 wing tip lenses (YMMV). Both wing tip lenses are significantly cracked and crazed but just recently one finally failed completely. I am holding it on with something much like blenderm tape for now. It seems that Van's no longer sells replacement lenses for the old style of wing tip (Circa 1991). Does anybody know of a source for replacement lenses or does anyone have some after they upgraded to the new wing tips/landing light in the wing tip?

I may be forced to carve some plugs out of balsa and build a vacuum molding setup if I can source some and if that is the case I could probably make additional ones for people in a similar situation.

I have old style complete kit. Both lenses are in one piece and you have to cut apart. About to throw away, yours for your address
Jimwoolf@charternet

I have ones that I got years ago from chief i think, and have cracked the right one, if anybody knows of a source please let me.

bob burns
N82RB

I have ones that I got years ago from chief i think, (the ones that will cover the light strobe combo) and have cracked the right one, if anybody knows of a source please let me.

bob burns
N82RB

RMD Aircraft Lighting

http://www.rmdaircraft.com Their website says the still sell them. That is where we bought ours in the 1990s. They cover the strobe, Nav, and Landing lights when the plane is in travel configuration.

OTHER PRODUCTS
Various lighting products for Merlin, Cheyenne, and RV 4,6,7,8.
STC and FAA/PMA approved.

At the additional detail link they have a photo and this information:

Compatible With: RV Aircraft - Click on Photo for Larger View!
Fiberglass Construction.

RV 4, 6, 7, 8 Aircraft

Experimental

New from RMD - Upswept Trailing Edge Wing Tips! Wing Tips are complete with Landing Lights installed. These are one piece lay-up Wing Tips, no stiffeners required! No extra work required to Wing Tip (minor trimming may be needed where Wing Tip mounts to the wing).

For more information call RMD at (503) 628-6056.​

Bob Axsom

I know this is old but I need a replacement set too. I went on the RMD website and I could not see where they were available. Anyone know of a replacement lens?

Last edited:
Just to let everyone know RMD aircraft has been sold to knots2u. Call Kevin he can get you any of the parts that RMD stocked.

Back