What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailcone Avionics Question

bkmerrill

Trying to plan ahead on antenna placement in addition to other avionics that will be mounted aft of the baggage bulkhead. A few items I was planning:
  • Garmin pitch/yaw servos
  • 1 Comm antenna on top just aft of baggage bulkhead
  • GPS antennae on top of FG cabin top down centerline (planning OH console)
  • Garmin Magnetometer in Stein fuselage mount
  • ELT Antenna under tail FG fairing
  • Aerosport NACA vent valve kit

A few questions:
1) The Aerosport valve/actuator mount on upper J-channel just aft of baggage bulkhead in the area I was planning a comm antenna. Will this cause an interference issue? I plan this comm to be my ground/#2. The primary will likely be belly mounted bent whip.
2) Proximity of magnetometer to comm antenna, NACA valve servo - going to be an issue?

Last edited:
Mag

I had my magnetometer mounted in the tail one via the stein mount. I could not get it calibrated there even after changing the rear seat belt cables to non magnetic. I eventually relocated to the wingtip and it calibrated immediately. Some people have had success with it back there. I did not.

Don't know if I'm going to have issues or not, but I've located mine in the tailbone too using the Garmin mount. I have my two autopilot servos, battery, oxygen tank, transponder and ELT all mounted on a shelf right behind the bulkhead. I too have the NACA servo mounted about 2 feet in front of the magnetometer.

I've seen others mount it back there with no issues. I've got my fingers crossed because if I have to move it, it will really suck.

Trying to plan ahead on antenna placement in addition to other avionics that will be mounted aft of the baggage bulkhead. A few items I was planning:
  • Garmin pitch/yaw servos
  • 1 Comm antenna on top just aft of baggage bulkhead
  • GPS antennae on top of FG cabin top down centerline (planning OH console)
  • Garmin Magnetometer in Stein fuselage mount
  • ELT Antenna under tail FG fairing
  • Aerosport NACA vent valve kit

A few questions:
1) The Aerosport valve/actuator mount on upper J-channel just aft of baggage bulkhead in the area I was planning a comm antenna. Will this cause an interference issue? I plan this comm to be my ground/#2. The primary will likely be belly mounted bent whip.
2) Proximity of magnetometer to comm antenna, NACA valve servo - going to be an issue?

I would be concerned about having that valve too close to the magnetometer. Those servos have a winding and likely a small iron core . I made a custom valve and placed it down low, near the NACA vent and mounted the mag back near the further rear bulkhead. That gave me about 2 feet of separation and the interference test passed.

Larry

Thanks. I may go ahead and put the magnetometer mount there then I can leave it vacant or cut the bulk of it out if it doesn?t work. I will also plan to have a place for wingtip mount. Only concern with that is I plan to do QB wings, so not sure I?ll have adequate access to do the mount.

Thoughts on the comm antenna proximity to the NACA valve/actuator (i.e. on the skin directly above the valve)?

Your QB wings come essentially without the bottom skins, so you'll have some space to arrange things how you want.

Back