What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 29 - fuselage side skin bending

rdamazio

Well Known Member
Hi everyone.

I'm trying to get my fuselage side skins bent with the wood jig per instructions on 29-4.
I was happy that I got it to the 60-degree angle they ask for, but when I cleco it on, it's clearly not flush around the holes, and the edge is lifted away from the other skin:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/F4BgYhqAGPAyAr6YA

Any suggestions on this? Should I bend it beyond the 60 degrees? Crease near the edge? I've looked through some blogs where everyone says theirs just sit perfectly after bending.

Thanks
Rodrigo

Rodrigo,

I have one of those Cleaveland Tools edge forming tools. I think I would try that. Hard to tell how big the gap is from the pic. If it?s more than a 1/16? that probably wouldn?t work.

Rodrigo,

I have one of those Cleaveland Tools edge forming tools. I think I would try that. Hard to tell how big the gap is from the pic. If it’s more than a 1/16” that probably wouldn’t work.

I have that tool too, that's what I had in mind for making a crease near the edge.
It's relatively small (I added a picture to the album above showing it), about 1/32".

Last edited:
Maybe try re clecoing from the front with all of them in - maybe giving each cleco a ?push?. It can depend on how strong the clecoes are and whether the holes have been match drilled or not. Mine pulled up fine eventually from an initial average looking fit.
I didn?t edge roll that seam and it was fine at riveting.
Cheers

Mine pulled in quite a bit when riveting. I can't see your picture at work, but agree with the statement of putting a cleco in every hole with a good push.

Back