What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Johnson Creek trip video

Ed, how the heck did you do all the crazy stuff you did in your plane and didn't put in O2?
I'm a flatlander! Most of my flights don't need O2, so I didn't want a built in system taking up weight on every trip (and costing more). I have a 4 place portable MH system on my shopping list.

And we did borrow an O2 system for this trip. We were at 13,500 for a while, and even at 11,500, it was nice to take the edge off.

I'm still trying to figure out how you got a bath tub in your -10.
:D

The 10 can carry a lot. A cast iron tub is in my standard toolkit!

Johnson Creek Video

Guernsey, Wo. landing. XXL State Nat'l Guard H.Q., given small town of app. 300 w/ the XXLL runways for their Monthly & Annual req. 2 wk. training, Air Guard big boys. BTW, XXLL BNSF R.R. hub, 6-8 rail sets, change crews, 1 1/2 mi. coal trains, normally sitting there.

I really appreciate trip reports like this. One of the dreams that keeps me motivated in my build is that I can go places in my RV. The fact that Johnson Creek is within a weekend trip from Redwing is a wonderful perk of owning an RV. I'm in Kansas City so your trips are similar to what I could achieve. I saw your airplane at Oshkosh! Very nice! Love your choice in avionics. Wish your choice of video systems was similar! :)

Okay, that was one of the coolest flying videos I've ever seen. Well done! Thanks for sharing it with us!

I love that you guys know what "hobo dinners" are!! Perfect camping meal for sure. Great video, I can't wait to make the same trip in our ten!

Great editing. You made the approach into Johnson creek look easy. Was it? Any gottcha's you can share?

When you went to town, where'd you go? McCall maybe?

Thanks for sharing. It's on my list. My cousin has a cabin a few miles from there.

I'm a flatlander! Most of my flights don't need O2, so I didn't want a built in system taking up weight on every trip (and costing more). I have a 4 place portable MH system on my shopping list.

And we did borrow an O2 system for this trip. We were at 13,500 for a while, and even at 11,500, it was nice to take the edge off.

Exactly why I built a hybrid MH system, I've got the O2D2s (pulse demand box) in the center console, the remote regulator switch, and everything plumbed, BUT the O2 bottle is in my baggage compartment and comes out in 2 secs when I don't need it... but even living at sea level I use it all the time. If I'm going more than 1 hour away, I'm usually at 11-12k for efficiency... really anything above 10k I like to use the O2. Makes you less tired once you're on the ground.....

Great editing. You made the approach into Johnson creek look easy. Was it? Any gottcha's you can share?

When you went to town, where'd you go? McCall maybe?

Thanks for sharing. It's on my list. My cousin has a cabin a few miles from there.

The approach was pretty straight forward, but following someone who really knows the place (thanks Sean!) took some of the stress out of the whole thing. The only gotcha that I really noticed was making the turn to base late in the day. You turn directly into the sun, and have a steep slope in front of you that's in shade. Make sure your windscreen is clean!

And the run into town was to Cascade... for a thing... :)

Exactly why I built a hybrid MH system, I've got the O2D2s (pulse demand box) in the center console, the remote regulator switch, and everything plumbed, BUT the O2 bottle is in my baggage compartment and comes out in 2 secs when I don't need it... but even living at sea level I use it all the time. If I'm going more than 1 hour away, I'm usually at 11-12k for efficiency... really anything above 10k I like to use the O2. Makes you less tired once you're on the ground.....

That's a good idea... I might have to investigate that hybrid setup. The one thing I didn't like about the O2 system we used was that there was tubing EVERYWHERE. It was a big tangled mess. It might be nice to keep as much of the tubing neatly "installed" in the plane as possible...

Can you explain a bit about what you mean by a "hybrid" system?

Back