What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB OUT ?

autoglide

Well Known Member
What is currently the cheapest way to buy ADSB Out for experimental?
I get ADSB In with a Garmin GDL39 displayed on a 696.
All replies appreciated.....Marvin

There are a couple of other threads on this.
The answer depends on what, if any, other equipment you may already have (like an IFR GPS navigator, or mode SES transponder). And if you desire to fly at or above FL180.

Last edited:
Assuming no WAAS IFR Navigator, probably the Stratus ESG. $2,995 plus installation minus rebate.

The Freeflight Rangr Lite is the same price from what I see. Not sure on the rebate eligibility.

Potentially, the GRT new GPS and the Trig TT-22, if it works, would be less at about $2,650 or so, but no rebate.

Last edited:
"Trig" TT22 (I hate autocorrect!)

Remember to look carefully at the whole "system". e.g., if you pair the TT22 with a GRT EFIS (not an old model either) then it will supply the required air-ground switching. Otherwise you need to figure that out.

I was just figuring that out the other day. I made a spreadsheet, too bad I can't insert a table here. My assumption was my own situation, which means starting with a Mode C transponder, no Skyview or G3X and no FAA-acceptable GPS position source. I use a Stratux for ADS-B IN, so that wasn't a requirement but nice to have -- IF it will talk to my tablet running Avare.

The Cheapest I found: The Skyguard Vision-Pro+ at $1175 looks to be the least expensive OUT solution. It's UAT OUT only, works with a Mode C transponder and has its own internal GPS. But, it's not listed on the FAA Equip ADS-B web page. Is it, or is it not 2020-compliant and transmitting SIL=3? I dunno. There's a bunch of discussion on their forum, but I have not waded through it all yet -- partly because I'm not wild about their form factor/packaging for a fixed installation.

The least expensive OUT solution I found on the Equip ADS-B page it the L3 NGT-1000 at $1999. The FreeFlight RANGR Lite FDL-978-TX was next at $2523. Both are 978 UAT OUT only solutions. They have their own internal GPS sources, and will either connect to or "listen" to your mode C transponder for the squawk and pressure altitude.

If you want 1090 ES OUT (a new transponder in other words), the Appareo Stratus ESG looks to be the least expensive path that has its own GPS. $2795 for that.

ADSB Out

A bit more info.....
Currently have/use a KT 76A (with 2 spares), so don't want to change transponders.
Only WAAS source is the GDL 39 in
I display WX/traffic on the 696 (panel mounted) OR on an I pad on a kneeboard .....use with Garmin Pilot app.
Would like to stay with my current equip. and only purchase a small WAAS unit with antenna for 2020 compliance which I'll mount remote in baggage area.

I'm going to Sun N Fun for 2 days only....don't want to spend/waste a bunch of time sourcing the cheapest APPROVED product. Ideally would like names of product to look at/purchase while I'm there, as they usually have show specials/discounts during these fly ins.

Thx in advance for all help......Marvin

ADS-B

I have decided to go with the Appareo Stratus ESGi 1090 ES Transponder. You get the latest technology with ADS-B IN & OUT.
I will switch over from Garmin Pilot EFB to Foreflight EFB; on my iPad mini. I love Garmin Pilot except it only works with their equipment; which is dang expensive.
The advantage to me is to have a system that is widely used internationally & reduces the chances of the FAA moving the goalposts a few years down the road & making UAT systems obsolete.
http://www.appareo.com/stratus-adsb-in-out/

A bit more info.....
Currently have/use a KT 76A (with 2 spares), so don't want to change transponders.
Only WAAS source is the GDL 39 in
I display WX/traffic on the 696 (panel mounted) OR on an I pad on a kneeboard .....use with Garmin Pilot app.
Would like to stay with my current equip. and only purchase a small WAAS unit with antenna for 2020 compliance which I'll mount remote in baggage area.

I'm going to Sun N Fun for 2 days only....don't want to spend/waste a bunch of time sourcing the cheapest APPROVED product. Ideally would like names of product to look at/purchase while I'm there, as they usually have show specials/discounts during these fly ins.

Thx in advance for all help......Marvin
L3 NGT-1000 doesn't look like it will work with your KT-76A, so if you're in set on keeping that transponder I'd be looking at the RANGR Lite FDL-978-TXL if I had to buy something now. Just my opinion though, based on reading the manufacturer's web sites and FAA Equip ADS-B page. I have zero hands on experience with any of them.

The KT-76A's are loosing their value very quickly. If you get a new transponder to support ADS-B out you won't likely need 2 spares. On the other hand, you can get KT-76A spares cheap. :confused:

Food for thought. There are transponders that will mount in the same space as the KT-76A, then there is no new box to mount, just the new antenna. That saves on cost.:)

The KT-76A's are loosing their value very quickly. If you get a new transponder to support ADS-B out you won't likely need 2 spares. On the other hand, you can get KT-76A spares cheap. :confused:

Food for thought. There are transponders that will mount in the same space as the KT-76A, then there is no new box to mount, just the new antenna. That saves on cost.:)

The Appareo fits in the same space, but not the same tray. The mounting holes are the same, though. The antenna doesn't need to change either, but you would need to add the GPS antenna.

Back