What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lost fuel cap

LordofWar

I flew from Fort Worth, TX to Orlando, FL overnight. One of the crew memebers notified me after a day that one of my fuel caps is missing. I usually take a extra fuel cap in my plane kit but this time I forgot to bring it after reorganizing. What are my options? I need to fly back tomorrow. Anyone close by I can pick up a fuel cap from? Or just put some tape and run with it, calculate for just one tank 😬

If you can't find a fuel cap, you might try a pool store. They carry expandable plugs that fit different sized holes. Sure, it'll be ugly, but will probably work just fine for a day or two.

You'll need to know the internal diameter of the fuel filler neck to pick the right plug.

Missing cap

I would also try to burn as much from that tank first, incase the tape or plug fails and starts to siphon, you'll get as much out before you lose it!

Duck tape!

Tried that once. The tension pin in my cap broke while getting gas. Sealed it all up well with duct tape. Before the end of my 15 minute flight, gas was streaming back on the wing. Gasoline will break down the tape's adhesive very quickly. It was a gummy mess to clean up once the gas evaporated.

The plug idea is a good one, with maybe some duct tape to help hold it in.

Larry

big box hardware stores also carry those plugs used to test new shower installations for leaks. Should also work if the size is right.

If you make it to Mississippi coast and still need one....

I have a spare you can borrow for a while...

Check PM for contact info

That is why I never had my N-number etched in the fuel cap.

With my luck, it would come out in flight, and fall through a fancy stain glass window or something like that. Just fuel type and quantity for me. (If I was to have them milled again, they would say "94 OCT MIN - 18 GAL" instead of "100 OCT - 18 GAL"

Been there done that, "speed tape" (aluminum tape) was a quick easy fix, worked like a charm. Switched to locking fuel caps after that. I always carry some in my tool bag. Most mechanics keep a roll around.

Sounds line someone is getting you a cap? That was going to to be my suggestion: There are enough RV's around that you should be able to borrow one.

Raj -- sounds good -- give me a call when you

are on your way --- I may not recognize your number and not pick up - but if you leave a message, I will get back to you right away.

Ron

Nix on duct tape

Tried that once. The tension pin in my cap broke while getting gas. Sealed it all up well with duct tape. Before the end of my 15 minute flight, gas was streaming back on the wing. Gasoline will break down the tape's adhesive very quickly. It was a gummy mess to clean up once the gas evaporated.

Yea, I tried it once and had the same results, 'cept I think it took less than 15 minutes. Epic failure. I returned to the airport, we found some rubber material (probably baffle scrape) and duct taped it over the hole. That held more-or-less between fuel stops but the vapors must have leaked up and the duct tape had to be replaced at each fuel stop.

I agree, duck tape didn’t stand a chance. It departed As I was exiting the airport. Thanks to Ron for lending me his spare cap, great guy! I was able to fly back around the storms and through some rain comfortably, even though I was grounded in western Alabama for a night.

Tape

Duct tape is the worst possible choice. What some refer to as speed tape-aluminum foil appearance, available in some hardware stores, would probably work. Second choice would be plastic tape which is hard to find, maybe impossible A 3M product, most of the hardware stores no longer stock it.

Tape

Just found the Scotch/3M plastic tape on Amazon. 1 1/2" wide. I carry several rolls with me on trips.

Just curious if the tank is 2/3 full or even half, would the fuel gets pushed or sucked out? Can you fly with the fuel cap off at all?

Less Than Full

Just curious if the tank is 2/3 full or even half, would the fuel gets pushed or sucked out? Can you fly with the fuel cap off at all?

I once flew a formation practice flight with a gas cap left off. We pretty much flew the entire speed envelope during the flight. The fuel tank was about 3 or 4 gallons short of full at the beginning. There was no evidence that any fuel escaped during the flight and I wasn't even aware that the cap was missing until I was wiping the bugs off the wing after the flight.

Skylor

Last edited:
Clear plastic packing tape

I recently had an incident with the roll pin shearing when removing the fuel cap. I left the tank a couple of gallons of fuel short, put the cap back in, and used some clear 3M packing tape we found in the FBO to hold it in place. Flew over 400 nm to home without incident. It did pooch up mid-way which I believe was related to the bottom half of the cap falling into the tank leaving the large hole in the upper half. My tank venting appears to be working in that tank. The worst part of the event was removing the tape once I landed. The electric heat gun worked wonders in aiding the removal of the tape and associated sticky. I now carry a roll of packing tape in my repair kit.

Glad you made it home!

I recently had an incident with the roll pin shearing when removing the fuel cap. I left the tank a couple of gallons of fuel short, put the cap back in, and used some clear 3M packing tape we found in the FBO to hold it in place. Flew over 400 nm to home without incident. It did pooch up mid-way which I believe was related to the bottom half of the cap falling into the tank leaving the large hole in the upper half. My tank venting appears to be working in that tank. The worst part of the event was removing the tape once I landed. The electric heat gun worked wonders in aiding the removal of the tape and associated sticky. I now carry a roll of packing tape in my repair kit.

Glad you made it home!

Ummmm...instead of packing tape, why not just carry a spare fuel cap? Then you don't NEED packing tape.

IDK

Ummmm...instead of packing tape, why not just carry a spare fuel cap? Then you don't NEED packing tape.

I enjoy Alton Brown on the Food Network. He says don't buy a kitchen appliance or utensil that has only one useful function. Okay, I can think of 2 uses of an extra-fuel cap in my plane....replace a cap or chuck it at a bear as I'm walking out from an off airport landing. Tape on the other hand, lots of uses. I have taped shut my leaky naca vents this winter, used it as a gust lock for my rudder pedals in a pinch, held my broken gas cap, and I can think of 100 more I haven't needed yet such as tape the bear's mouth shut that is trying to eat me.

Back