What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop CG location?

N546RV

Well Known Member
Hoping maybe some of you folks with completed aircraft can help me out here. I'm attempting to be somewhat analytical with my FWF choices. To that end, I've collected a few data points with empty weight/CG of completed aircraft, and I want to use those as a baseline to try out different engine/prop combinations.

I've gathered weight/CG (from the prop flange) data on engines from the FAA, and figuring the same info for props should be pretty straightforward; the issue is that I don't know where the prop flange typically sits relative to the aircraft datum (70" ahead of the leading edge by the book).

So I'm hoping someone would be so kind as to get a rough measurement of how far ahead of the leading edge their prop flange is. Probably doesn't need to be super accurate - there's necessarily going to be a lot of wiggle room in this analysis - but just some general idea would be enough to get me started.

Thanks!

Philip,

I used Luca Perazolli POH for his RV8 to get baseline planning W&B. He did a great job detailing his W&B. You?ll have to covert it from metric to imperial but it?s a good starting point. You can find it under the POH tap on the main screen.

I think I computed 8.3? for the prop.

Back