What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Southern California 8 fit check / instruction

blytle

I've been flying off and on for about 25 years and I'm finally about to take the plunge into tons of work and a little fun with my own airplane.

Unfortunately, I let myself get too much on the Bubba side of the health curve, but the prospect of fitting into one of these beautiful machines finally has given me the incentive to start taking care of myself. I've taken to riding a bicycle instead of eating, got my medical certificate, and I'm finally on the way down the Bubba scale, but still 300lb and 5'11". I swear I used to fit in very small sailplanes!

I still don't know if I'll fit, even in the 8. Is anyone in the Southern California area (I travel between Mojave and Santa Ana, so a pretty broad area is easily achieved) available to see if I can shoe horn into one, or if I'll need to wait for some more lbs to come off.

And the second topic. I got a pretty reasonable insurance quote for the "A" I'm looking to buy.
Only rider is: "must receive a checkout in the make and model aircraft by a properly certified flight instructor prior to sole PIC operations. The flight instructor administering the checkout must have at least 25 hours in the Make & Model"
I've been searching through the threads and there is a lot of confusion as the "Make" is the builder - and I know the builder of this one only built one! So, what is the latest on these type of riders? I've heard there is room to negotiate.

Update: I spoke with Bruce Bohannon and think it makes a lot of sense to get training from him and include the tailwheel endorsement while I'm at it... Still looking for someone to let me hangar fly theirs.

Last edited:
My airplane isn't ready to be sit in but you can stop by and check it for yourself. I am almost next door to you.

Send me a PM with your phone number.

Phat

Back