What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel calibration - what container?

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Getting ready to calibrate the fuel levels on my Dynon Skyview...looks like I need to add 2 gallons at a time from what I can figure out. What sort of container did you all use to *precisely* measure out and add fuel during your calibrations? I have the capacitive system (although that shouldn't make a difference for this...).

TIA!

Steve

Sharpie

I used a sharpie to mark my 5 gallon in gallon increments at the pump. I only need one marked container, as I just transfered fuel to it as required. All this effort to make a "calibrated" dip stick for my 11AC fuel tank.

I actually used a cleaned up milk jug for this, filling a gallon at a time. You will also need a funnel if using the jug technique.

Greg

+1 for the milk jug. Mark the spot on a full one where the milk level is. I guarantee you they don't randomly fill them straight from the cow.

Don't bother.

+1 for Wayne.

The accuracy of the fuel level sensor (either CAP or float) is not that great.
Your waisting time doing so precise measurement of the fuel as it goes in.
Just Pump 2 gals from the airport supply and then take your measurement.
Repeat as needed.

Kent

6 gallon

I used a six gallon fuel can and marked it at two gallon increments using the fuel pump.

I calibrated my MGL gauge by pumping slowly at the pump. Despite doing it in Litres instead of Gallons (we use funny units up here) and the Litres going by more than 3x as fast as Gallons would, it wasn't difficult to "tease" the trigger to get exact numbers at each set point. Certainly accurate enough for a fuel gauge on a vibrating airframe, that will still leave you doubting whether it's accurate or not until your tanks are either 100% full (just filled) or 0% full (silence).

Back