What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A auxiliary fuel tanks

stefan87

RV-7a auxiliary fuel tanks

I was this year at the EAA in Oshkosh, I saw there including some RV's that they each have an extra tank in the left and right wing.

The builders have done like this: set up located inside the original tank and then to the wing tip to a second tank.

I hereby want to ask whether I should make this conversion in Austria?
Perhaps one of you have any drawings or information about such a conversion?

Here in Austria it is this: we must make changes on its own aircraft, all things must be supervised by the Authority.

For such a conversion tank in Austria, I would have to prove the following:
Loads for the standard wing spar.
Load calculation of the suspension standard (main gear)
These two things should be provided in writing by the kit manufacturer.

Furthermore I would then have a landing gear test is to to 4g.
This requires under state control, the MTOW * 4g focus within the permissible range are placed in the body by means of sand bags.

Could you go for this, these two above-mentioned static calculations:
Design load of the wing spars.
Last account of the suspension of Tre-gear legs.

Yours sincerely

Stefan Lang

RV-7a auxiliary fuel tanks

I was this year at the EAA in Oshkosh, I saw there including some RV's that they each have an extra tank in the left and right wing.

The builders have done like this: set up located inside the original tank and then to the wing tip to a second tank.

I hereby want to ask whether I should make this conversion in Austria?
Perhaps one of you have any drawings or information about such a conversion?

Here in Austria it is this: we must make changes on its own aircraft, all things must be supervised by the Authority.

For such a conversion tank in Austria, I would have to prove the following:
Loads for the standard wing spar.
Load calculation of the suspension standard (main gear)
These two things should be provided in writing by the kit manufacturer.

Furthermore I would then have a landing gear test is to to 4g.
This requires under state control, the MTOW * 4g focus within the permissible range are placed in the body by means of sand bags.

Could you go for this, these two above-mentioned static calculations:
Design load of the wing spars.
Last account of the suspension of Tre-gear legs.

Yours sincerely

Stefan Lang

There are only 2 types of "tip tanks" that I know of:

1. Those who reinforce and glass in the actual wing tip (ala Jon Johansen) to make it into an aux. fuel tank. I'm not sure anyone is actually still manufacturing these for re-sale, although I do know of some who purchased them from ??.

default.aspx

2. The "Farn Reed" approach, where a small section of wing is added at the end of the wing and inboard of the wing tip.

default.aspx

I'm not sure how much testing was done; but I do know that these solutions have been flying for some time. The "Farn Reed" tank would not fit the RV-9 wing of course.

GH

Last edited:
Haven't done it

But I did come up with a design to add "Tucky" tanks to my already flying and painted airplane.

I just couldn't bring myself to take a perfectly airworthy airplane out of service for the length of time required..:)

Back