What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do your describe your RV to others?

Frank Smidler

Well Known Member
I now have 175 hours on my RV-6 since the first flight last January. In that time I have had the pleasure of flying around 40 people and discussing RV's with many others at various fly-in's and airport stops. To those who are not familiar with RV's, I at first would liken their amazing performance to a "Hot Rod". Like a hot rod car, it has a big engine in a small airframe for more speed than what a factory 4 place airplane with the same engine could achieve. Now I am liking it to an old school Porsche. Basic, no frills interior; two place side-by-side; light and nimble; responsive great handling; fast and can outrun the family cars (AC).

So how do you describe your RV to aviators and non-aviators alike?

A C-172 is like a 1974 Ford LTD. The RV6-6A is like a Porsche.

Then they get it!!

Last edited by a moderator:
As the money sucking wh&re that is putting me in the poorhouse...

Worth every penny, though!

Moat of my friends are computer geeks (those who aren't pilots, anyway), so my comparisons of spam to RV generally are likened to my Alienware systems compared to generic HP, Compaq, or the like. Custom built, faster than snot, easily modded, and a ton of fun.

*sigh* I am such a computer nerd...:eek:

Two words...

I like to use the term "Pocket Fighter". Kinda describes the small stature but quick handling of the short wing -3, 4, 6, 7, 8 models.

I have a wallet-size picture of my plane in my billfold and pull it out when people get a puzzled look on their face after hearing that I built my own plane. Their usual response is something like "oh.. it is a real plane!"

I say...A plane I built in my garage that scoots me and my wife around the states at 200 mph... They usually say...WOW!

my description

I describe the RV7a as an 180-200 mph 2 seater airplane that will carry 100 lbs of baggage at 7.2 to 8.5 gal/hr. I go on to say if 2 people and 100 lbs fits your mission, the RV7a is a great machine. I then add we have flown it 655 hours in the last 2.5 years and it has taken us all over the country.

I tend to tell people that it is similar to a Boeing 737. Mostly aluminum but with some fiberglass parts.

Last edited:
My typical response to people finding out that I am building an airplane is either the John Denver don't end up like him speech, or Oh, you are building an Ultralight! When I describe what I am building and then show pictures, they become more interested. Which really opens up the conversation and comments start flying!

This is what most people think of when you say you are building a plane in your garage:

Ultralight.jpg

Even the UPS man that brought me a million boxes thought this was what I was building.

A few weeks ago when he brought me my last EFIS screen, I told him that this was most likely the last major part for my plane. He went on to tell me about a guy that hurt himself in one like the pic above and how he hoped I was careful yada yada yada.

Then I showed him a pic of a finished RV and said this is what I am building:

2i7bdc6.jpg

He said...Oh! Your building a "Real Airplane"!!!!

Now I just show the picture. It answers all the questions...

To non pilots I dont try describe it.Kinda futile I guess. To pilots I tell them its the best allround fun plane youll ever fly. I dont think they believe me, till they get a chance to fly one. This almost always results in "I want to buy one "

I am used to getting asked this by pilots used to "Turbine Equipment"....I just say "Low wing all metal monoplane, two-place tandem with a bubble canopy - aerobatic with a cruise range of 800 miles at 175 knots, with a dual/triple-redundant all-glass IFR panel."

Paul

I tell them that it is a low budget Red Bull air racer...most have seen the Red Bull planes and can then relate.

4 wheeler comparison

I use the analogy of an RV is to production certified aircraft as a Mazda Miata is to a Ford F-150. Both are good, just which would you rather drive down a mountain road?

Maybe not the best analogy?

I know you don't really have mountains back there, so you couldn't know. I quickly learned that my Grand Prix GTX wouldn't cut it up here so now my main ride is a Tacoma 4x4. So, for your analogy, I'd take the Ford. But I'd take an RV over a spam can in any conditions (well, unless said spam can is turbine or better).

I am used to getting asked this by pilots used to "Turbine Equipment"....I just say "Low wing all metal monoplane, two-place tandem with a bubble canopy - aerobatic with a cruise range of 800 miles at 175 knots, with a dual/triple-redundant all-glass IFR panel."

Paul
A good engineer's answer; concise and accurate! However, you forgot the most important answer, "fun!" :)

TODR

I always described my RV-6 to other pilots as a cross between a Beech Bonanza and a Super Cub.

My typical response.

I now have 175 hours on my RV-6 since the first flight last January. In that time I have had the pleasure of flying around 40 people and discussing RV's with many others at various fly-in's and airport stops. To those who are not familiar with RV's, I at first would liken their amazing performance to a "Hot Rod". Like a hot rod car, it has a big engine in a small airframe for more speed than what a factory 4 place airplane with the same engine could achieve. Now I am liking it to an old school Porsche. Basic, no frills interior; two place side-by-side; light and nimble; responsive great handling; fast and can outrun the family cars (AC).

I say it's a jack of all trades sports car that I can have a lot of fun flying acro or fly non-stop 3.5 hours at 200 mph with my wife in the back and over a hundred pounds of luggage. If the person knows what the **** a P-51 Mustang is I'll throw in there it's a poor man's P-51!.

Last edited:
Now I am liking it to an old school Porsche. Basic, no frills interior; two place side-by-side; light and nimble; responsive great handling; fast and can outrun the family cars (AC).

Frank, you were doing great till you said "side-by-side" ... you lost me then.

:D :D :D

Back