What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH shipping camping gear

Planecrazy232

Well Known Member
We decided to lighten the load in the plane and send our camping gear by fedex. Great idea- until the mrs decided that since we are shipping, we can take the bigger tent, pillow top blow up mattress, etc, etc, turned into two boxes. What the heck, got to keep her happy! Cheap enough to ship and we will be as comfortable as a tent can be. See you all soon!!

2r5da4j.jpg

We have done this 3 years in a row. Works great. They have improved the place to pick up packages last year and you can use the welcome wagon to travel over there to pick it up and bring you back! On departure day, we ship the stuff back home. The shipping tents were right behind the pickup building last year.

The only problem is an early departure unless you ship your boxes back home the day before. The shipping tents don't open early enough for my typical departure time.

YEP! Looks Very familiar. SOP here. Our buckets are being packed too.

What does it cost (ballpark is fine) to ship a couple of large tubs packed with camping gear?

Best to go onto UPS and get a price estimate. It depends on the dimensions. Certain dims have a minimum charge and a max weight.

Mine have been around $50-$60 each way.

Last edited:
Slight Thread Drift.....

What are the hours for picking up the shipments? Doing the same with camping gear then driving in Sunday and do not want to get there only to find my gear is unavailable.

Thanks

E

Anyone ever availed themselves of the shipping services while camping in the North 40? Josie and I were originally thinking we'd have to take our club's Cheetah, which would have severely restricted our payload. I looked at shipping, but as far as I could tell I'd just have to tote our stuff the 3/4 mile or so.

Fortunately the Tiger came available, so that won't be necessary, but I'm kinda curious for future reference.

Can you use USPS (Postal Service) to ship to that location?
Unless you have a commercial account with UPS, USPS Priority is almost always cheaper than UPS ground, and anywhere from 3 days to a week faster.

After roughly 20 years of experience with FedEx, I wouldn't trust them with my pet rock. They *still* can't find my house sometimes, and when the driver doesn't feel like delivering (to my residence) that day, he checks the 'business closed' box. This is obviously endorsed by their management, because numerous calls over the years to both the local and national offices have resulted in...nothing... in the way of improvements.

Charlie

What are the hours for picking up the shipments? Doing the same with camping gear then driving in Sunday and do not want to get there only to find my gear is unavailable. Thanks

Same question. Hate to sleep on the ground if they're closed after we arrive on Saturday evening in HBC.

Anyone ever availed themselves of the shipping services while camping in the North 40? Josie and I were originally thinking we'd have to take our club's Cheetah, which would have severely restricted our payload. I looked at shipping, but as far as I could tell I'd just have to tote our stuff the 3/4 mile or so.

Fortunately the Tiger came available, so that won't be necessary, but I'm kinda curious for future reference.

You may be able to talk the welcome wagon into helping get you there. A donation is recommended!

What are the hours for picking up the shipments? Doing the same with camping gear then driving in Sunday and do not want to get there only to find my gear is unavailable.

Thanks

E

Same question. Hate to sleep on the ground if they're closed after we arrive on Saturday evening in HBC.

That is a concern. Early departures and or late arrivals could be a problem. If you have friends that are going to be on the field, you could ship it to their attention so they could pick it up for you before you get there.

Can you use USPS (Postal Service) to ship to that location?
Unless you have a commercial account with UPS, USPS Priority is almost always cheaper than UPS ground, and anywhere from 3 days to a week faster.

After roughly 20 years of experience with FedEx, I wouldn't trust them with my pet rock. They *still* can't find my house sometimes, and when the driver doesn't feel like delivering (to my residence) that day, he checks the 'business closed' box. This is obviously endorsed by their management, because numerous calls over the years to both the local and national offices have resulted in...nothing... in the way of improvements.

Charlie

From the Airventure website shipping info page:

"The United States Postal Office will not have a location on the convention site. Do not ship your items via the US Postal Service. "

We don't ship anything that we can't do without the first day. Everything else is replaceable at Target with a credit card.

From the Airventure website shipping info page:

"The United States Postal Office will not have a location on the convention site. Do not ship your items via the US Postal Service. "
We?ll, there is a post office on the north side of the airport on the N40 bus line. I don?t imagine that they close during the convention. Might be worth looking into.

Company account

Best to go onto UPS and get a price estimate. It depends on the dimensions. Certain dims have a minimum charge and a max weight.

Mine have been around $50-$60 each way.

Find someone with a commercial Fed Ex or UPS account and reimburse them. The cost will be a fraction of that.

Find someone with a commercial Fed Ex or UPS account and reimburse them. The cost will be a fraction of that.

Must vary because my work account is just a bit cheaper than my personal one. Also the amount of support equipment my wife requires is enormous! BAHAHA!

Can't speak to FedEx (don't want to, either), but several years ago I shipped a prop from MS to the west coast via UPS. Walking in to the intake office at the UPS distribution center, they wanted to open and unpack the carefully packed prop, and the quoted charge for shipping was around $70. I left without letting them open it and took it to a friend's business, where it shipped (unopened) for around $35.

Your mileage may vary.

Charlie

Also the amount of support equipment my wife requires is enormous! BAHAHA!

Oh my, I think Tanya might say the same about me :). I guess I should check "MY" shipping tote to make sure I'm not over gross.

Back