What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Cable Play/Slack

ethand

Well Known Member
I installed the rudder today and the cables are very very slack. I have the control approach pedals so I assume there will be some level of modification required to the system.

The pedals are in the forward most location so I built the F-10104 rudder cable links at the 2.25" recommendation.

I assume the control approach is different but need to understand how much (if any) slack is allowable in the system to know when I have modified it enough.

My play is to shorten (or eliminate) the links as required so the cables are tight with no slack and can get the required rudder movement, unless I am missing something.

Thanks
E

With both feet on the pedals can you move the rudder from stop to stop without excessive travel? With no air loads the opposite pedal to the one being pushed will always be slack unless you keep some foot pressure against it,

With the rudder centered and the pedals centered both cables have significant slack. If I press one pedal it travels an inch or two before the rudder starts moving.

All things are rest there is probably two inchs of cable play before anything moves

E

I worked on an RV-6 a few weeks ago that had coil springs connected to the rudder pedals to the lower longerons, ostensibly to take out the slack in the rudder cables. They added so much stiction to the system that at low speeds, the plane would fly along happily with the slip/skid ball a full ball out. Pick a side and it would stay there. Landings were miserable since the plane wanted to slip or skid, it was difficult to get it centered. The owner (not a builder) assumed that's how RV's are. I pulled the springs out with the owner watching anxiously, since he wasn't convinced that the cables should be allowed to have slack. Until he flew it. Big :D afterwards.

The rudder self-centers in flight. You can pull the pedals up with your toes while flying, the cables will be slack in the interior, air loads will continue to hold the rudder centered. That's how it is.

It is not a push/pull cable setup, so there will be slack until you take up the extra by putting pressure on the pedals.

As mentioned, slack is no issue. However, to insure your links are not too long, your rudder should hit it's stop before the pedal hits the firewall and the two pedals, with the slack out and rudder centered should be in alignment and at a comfortable position for the pilot.

Larry

Back