What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Static line block

Timberwolf

Well Known Member
After letting my -6 sit outside while I'm at training for 2 weeks I fired it up and flew home for the weekend. Ran into some moderate rain, but nothing torrential. As I join the pattern I notice she isn't slowing down like normal. At a fairly high angle of attach and power off it's still reading 110kts on both the G5 and G3X. This triggers it in my mind that something is off and I deploy flaps assured I'm under Vfe. I land without incident and while taxiing in it's still reading 60 kts. Once at the hangar I pull the static off the encoder and the speed goes to zero. I didn't have anymore time to dig into it, but curious if anyone has seen any issues? I have dual static vents on either side of the fuse behind the baggage bulkhead which join together in a T fitting. Never had an issue before with rain, and I would suspect the holes are too small for a mud dauber or the like. I'll hopefully get a chance to take a look tomorrow and see if I can deduce the cause.

. SNIP. I have dual static vents on either side of the fuse behind the baggage bulkhead which join together in a T fitting. SNIP.

You don't mention if the lines from each port go up (vertically) to the T fitting or not. Running a vertical length on each side provides a path for water to drain out.

Carl

If your airspeed was fine on take-off, then I would suspect in-flight blockage (water) in the lines.

Lines do run up vertical from the static ports. Went out this morning and blew them out with a surprising amount of water draining from the ports. Now I'm left wondering if it was from when it was sitting or occurred during the flight as this was the first time it's set in a heavy rain then flown shortly after. Guess that's one more thing I need to tape over when I tie it down.

I didn't pay attention to the altimeter before I pulled the static line. If it happens again I'll take note

Perhaps an argument for the installation of an alternate static port on your avionics? Doesn't have to be anything sophisticated, just a way to open up the static line to atmosphere inside the cabin from the pilot's seat.

Perhaps an argument for the installation of an alternate static port on your avionics? Doesn't have to be anything sophisticated, just a way to open up the static line to atmosphere inside the cabin from the pilot's seat.

Great idea and I do have such a thing by disconnecting the line to the encoder right under the dash. Always good to experience an issue like this in a low threat environment first so next time the light bulb comes on and I know the issue.

FWIW I am using a Clippard mini 2 way toggle valve (TV-2M) like this one:
1b2217c57528d2cfeab0034a31034ff374c79172-900.jpg

You can see it on the center section just to the right of my knee protected by a red cover:
Completed%20panel%20on%20ground.jpg

It is easy to get to while in flight but out of the way and protected so I can't accidentally activate it.

:cool:

Last edited:
Back