What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Argh ! #$%$ Just messed up Longeron

steve murray

Well Known Member
Just messed up the long 3/4 x 3/4 x 113" longeron....argh #!#!@$#@!:mad:

Anyone close to Asheville, NC area ordering a kit that I could add a 9" 6" piece of angle to?

So frustrated tonight....

Man, that stinks Steve! Hang in there. We mess things up on a weekly basis, just keep Vans on speed dial.

Yesterday I finished up fitting an elevator tip fairing only to knock it off the table onto the floor damaging it. $60 mistake. Frustrating, but Vans made more.

If you have a local pipe and steel company they may be able to order it for you from their supplier. I replaced the longerons on an RV-4 kit and got it local. 3/4" X 3/4" 6061-T6 structural aluminum angle for less than a dollar a foot. I got 2 25' pieces. The shipping is what gets you.

FYI there is Atlantic steel supply in Charlotte that might have what you need 704-596-0721. If not they could recommend a source. Like Arlie said it might be closer than other suppliers. If they do and you go there, it's possible that they will have some random smaller pieces. If so grab some for add on's

FYI there is Atlantic steel supply in Charlotte that might have what you need 704-596-0721. If not they could recommend a source. Like Arlie said it might be closer than other suppliers. If they do and you go there, it's possible that they will have some random smaller pieces. If so grab some for add on's

Thanks for the Charlotte contact, I will try to call them. Unfortunately, I now have about 113" of stock for misc non-structural brackets..... I spent about 1/2 day bending it to the right shape and then drilled holes on the wrong side .... argh....

Be really careful in replacing longeron material. You want the aircraft extrusion, with a filet on the interior angle, not a sharp angle like what you get at a home improvement store.

Be really careful in replacing longeron material. You want the aircraft extrusion, with a filet on the interior angle, not a sharp angle like what you get at a home improvement store.

Yup. As referred to in post #3. 3/4" X 3/4" 6061-T6 angle

Thanks Mike

I have several of them here in the shop. NC25.

Hey Mike, Thanks! I am going to check with Metal Supermarket in Greenville to see if they have it in stock. If they do not, I may try to give you a call to see if we can work something out. I have a trip starting today, so will get back with you in a week or two. (You did my first flight on my Subie -RV8 at KLZU about 10 years ago...I have about 700 hours on that plane now. I moved just south of Asheville (0A7) a few years ago.)

I'm up in Asheville and will ask the RV guys if I see any today. Aircraft Spruce down in Atlanta carries aircraft grade aluminum angle in several alloys and lengths up to 12'. I'm not sure what shipping would cost but you could call them and ask. (1-877-477-7823) http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/me/aluminum_angle.html

Thanks for checking around for me with Asheville RVer's I am about to phase out of full time work, in the next few months, after that, I need to get more connected with RV\EAA flying community around here. (Need to get 2nd set of eyes looking over my 10 project.)

Hey Mike, Thanks! I am going to check with Metal Supermarket in Greenville to see if they have it in stock. If they do not, I may try to give you a call to see if we can work something out. I have a trip starting today, so will get back with you in a week or two. (You did my first flight on my Subie -RV8 at KLZU about 10 years ago...I have about 700 hours on that plane now. I moved just south of Asheville (0A7) a few years ago.)

I dealt with my local Metal Supermarket for a smaller angle that I messed up. Even if they have the right cross section and alloy, they don't treat the material as if it is going on an airplane. When I said "I want no scratches on the angle" they had no idea what I was talking about. If you buy from them, and the angle is stored in a rack, I can almost guarantee it will have scratches in it.

I dealt with my local Metal Supermarket for a smaller angle that I messed up. Even if they have the right cross section and alloy, they don't treat the material as if it is going on an airplane. When I said "I want no scratches on the angle" they had no idea what I was talking about. If you buy from them, and the angle is stored in a rack, I can almost guarantee it will have scratches in it.

Probably a bit like buying lumber... Take a look at a few options and pick the best one. Some of the stuff I got with my fuselage kit was pretty badly scratched right from the factory. Managed to work around it all.

Alex

i found a supplier in wausau wi. so i bet you can find some kind close to where you live. to give you an idea of what the non aviation community is paying for the same stuff i found a source of 5052 .062'' [gonna make a fuel tank] a 4' x 10' sheet $100, i pick up.

Back