What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vent TG-10

snoop9erdog

Well Known Member
All,

A while back I purchased the Aluminum version of the SS Vent TG-10 at a reduced price and a good deal and have fabricated an arm for the cable, fitted to my firewall, ready to install, but haven't yet.

But before I make it permanent....question: How important is it that it is SS for temperature resistance? Those of you flying....how hot does that little vent actually get? Will it be too hot for the Aluminum? (I doubt it, but thought I'd ask others) Is it a non issue?

Now I realize the the reason people go with fuel steel fittings and SS is for the fire safety issues in the unlikely fire occurrence. But our firewalls are full of aluminum rivets!.....are we all ignoring that elephant in the middle of the room...making my aluminum vent a non issue?

And while on this subject....is it necessary (maybe wise) to change the OEM recommended aluminum FWF fuel fitting (boost pump to mechanical) to a steel one?

attempting to post photo:

Not trying to start a huge debate here....but thoughts?

I ordered the stainless one from Vans, figured I may as well. But it came with an aluminum door.... So the whole stainless part is basically pointless. If you do a search, DanH has researched and posted some excellent data with regards to firewall protection.

Alex

Our plans call out aluminum rivets in the firewall.......I doubt that the majority (if any) have upgraded their fasteners/rivets to stainless material.

Dan H does have some excellent firewall protection data & better yet...testing....but possibly useless without going 100% SS on the firewall?

Maybe the aluminum firewall rivets are a non issue and don't factor negatively on Dan's data (I can't remember if that was considered or if his FW tests factored that in)?

Did you change your door out from aluminum to SS Alex? I guess my question is what are other builders comfort level in this regard? Necessary? How hot does that vent and ducting really get? Van's still calls out AL fuel bulkhead fitting....

I didnt change out the door myself. However if I was doing it again I probably would, it wouldn't be any extra work really. Every builder has their desired level of protection. I go with what Vans suggests for the most part but I am also no expert in the field. I agree with you completely on the aluminum rivets as well.

Thx for the input Alex. I think I will just use what I have and it will be fine. Like you did.

Would be interesting to see how many builders actually install the proven Horton SS film/sandwich FW protection on their machines. Hard to argur with his test results.....but comes down to risk comfort levels.

My daughter is in Kelowna BC..........her photos of BC are astounding. A beautiful place indeed.

Back