What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Private Airstrip

81carter

I'm New Here
Very first post on this site, been I?ve been spying on the community for about two years now. Doubt I?d be anywhere near this far (Ready for finish kit RV-12) without this resource. Also, a special thanks to the gentleman over at Scmetterling Aviation for writing that 1500+ page manual on his building experience.

First post, but boy it?s a whopper. I?m looking to fulfill the other half of the dream that I imagine many folks around here share. That is, to take off out of your own back yard.

I?m in north Dallas, and I?d like to test the waters to see if anyone has an interest in partnering in a lot, and cutting a grass strip. This is long-term for me (build home and family), so I?d like to find out if anyone else?s goals might be aligned.

If you?re familiar with the DFW metro-plex, you?ll know that real estate is heating up, with no dip in sight, so I?m sort of targeting the Van Alstyne, Blue Ridge, Farmersville general vicinity, but fairly flexible. Need to commute to Dallas for work. Long and skinny 20+ acre lots (running north south) are not as easy to come by as I?d thought, so I suppose I?m now at the economies of scale strategy in my search.

Please chime in if you?re interested, or if you think you can talk me out of it!

Thanks,
Blake

I'm in...

I have been dreaming and looking at hanger living for as long as I have been flying (20 years). I have friends that live in Hidden Valley Airpark and an EAA chapter member with his own ?strip? in Farmersville! I have contemplated both forms of airplane-living and now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel for the I-35 construction, I am getting the itch again! :D The new I-35 corridor would make the commute to jobs easier on my wife and I. One worry I have is that airpark living is a niche within a niche when it comes time to sell your home. But yes, I would love to do that!

One worry I have is that airpark living is a niche within a niche when it comes time to sell your home. But yes, I would love to do that!

That is not a worry we have. We NEVER intend to move from our place. And I don't mean in our lifetime. I mean NEVER! Our will states that our ashes will be scattered down the runway at ShortStop (8TA5).

now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel for the I-35 construction,

If you see the light at the end of I-35 construction, it's probably the headlight on the train. I would be willing to wager a sizable amount that construction on I-35 will NEVER end.

Man.... im drooling over here thinking about a private strip... but in the northeast, open space is few and far between.

Agreed...

I don't blame you Mel - I wouldn't move either! As far as the I-35 construction goes, I guess I should have stipulated that I was referring to the part that would affect me if I moved north to Hidden Valley ? and the route I would take to work. That part is almost finished. I was driving back and forth to Austin in the mid-80?s and they were still working on it ? so yea, 40+ years says it all!! Maybe I could just put a nice little house on the back corner of your land - you would never have to mow the grass again :D

That is not a worry we have. We NEVER intend to move from our place. And I don't mean in our lifetime. I mean NEVER! Our will states that our ashes will be scattered down the runway at ShortStop (8TA5).

You sir, have life figured out!

Alright Jim, sounds like we got it all figured out. Grab that 23 acre lot north of Dallas and hire Mel as our survey counselor. I don't have quite the flying experience, so I'm gonna beg that we stretch out the runway width a bit greater than 20ft!

I am quite serious about this, and if anyone is interested in hearing my very rough outline, let's chat.

Quick Basics though:

First time lot/homebuyer, but I'm hoping those VA loan terms are as sweet as advertised.

May also be looking at a multi-phase plan in which I'd purchase the land, maintain Ag exemptions and eventually build (within 2 yrs). I work for a great GC in the Dallas area doing estimating/project management, so that should open up a lot of good options when it's time to build.

Back