What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-540 D4A5 magneto replacement

WrightsRV7

Well Known Member
Have a question for those who pulled a magneto in the new Lycoming D4A5 and replaced it with an EI system. What, if anything, was done or needed to insure that all gears/parts stay where they belong. I have talked with Lycoming and they indicate the receptacle for the mag drive is part of the accessory case but it does rely on the magneto to keep the assembly in place to some extent.
Cheers & Thanks in advance, Mike

I'd pull it out. It rides in a bearing that sits in a recess in the accessory case. I just talked to someone yesterday who is wanting to remove one of his Loghtspeeds and install one mag. I'm sure you could work something out with someone like that.

You must pull the gear and bearing out. The magneto serves as support of the gear/drive, and without it the gear is cantelevered off the bearing, which is just a slip fit in the case. Shortly, the gear and bearing will start to walk and will destroy the case.

Here is a picture of the gear and bearing. Mine came out attached to the mag when I remove it.

2qajuqe.jpg

Its also noteworthy that some gear/bearings are more stuck than others - some will come right out when you withdraw the mag, others come out individually, and only after a good fight.

Take it from my personal experience - go slow and be ready for it to disassemble itself and fall into the sump during removal.

Back