What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air vents higher on the panel?

rightrudder

Well Known Member
Hi guys,

When I use the ventilation system in my car, I tend to direct the cooling air toward my upper body and face. It seems that most put their RV cooling vents down low, beneath those deck pieces that attach to the longerons. My panel will have plenty of space to mount them higher, which seems to make sense for my airflow needs, and my panel design will easily accommodate this positioning.

Have others put them up high, and does the S-bend of the tubing impact airflow significantly? I sparked up for the SteinAir vents, BTW....couldn't bear the thought of staring at those homely looking stockers supplied with the kit.

Not to worry, they will blast you from wherever they are located. Besides, the NACA vents are below the longeron and putting them up higher means you have to route the vent tubes up to them.

I have an Affordable Panels panel with their sub-panel for switches which lowers the vents (My headset jacks are directly above the vents and below the longerons.) and the location works great.

Last edited:
I have vents higher up in my panel (6A) - they work well.

Picture of the panel while in re-build.

image007.jpg

Thanks, guys. I've got pretty long legs, so I want to avoid any switch subpanels or housings that extend down beneath the main panel. Granted, the vents are way off to the side when mounted low.

Currently working on IP support structure, and upholstery ships in a week or so, so with everything in place I can get a real feel for what the final seating position and clearances will be.

Higher ok

I have mine in the same location as Penguin's. More because that is how they were plumbed when I bought the plane flying and didn't want to re-route when I re-did the panel.

Higher works fine. One thing to think of is that the velocity can be considerable (good, when it's hot out), but this can also activate the VOX on your intercom/audio panel if you have it aimed at your face (mike). For this reason, I tend to aim it at my chest. The lower location would probably work just as well for this, and probably where I'd put them if building from scratch.

YMMV.

Vent location

Mine are in the stock position with Stein's large size vent- I'm in Louisiana- they work better than any plane I've ever been in. You can direct anywhere you want- towards the chest area works for me.

My vents are down at the lower corners of the panel and can still be directed up enough to blow into my face. My only gripe is that I wish I could get enough airflow to more quickly clear the cabin of smoke when I run my smoke system, but that's an entirely different problem :D

Fresh air while on the ground

I have been wondering about this too and I bought the small Aveo units with a plan to place them above the longerons line. Building the panel is the next major phase of my project but has not yet started.

I am not concerned about velocity or volume while flying but, as mine is a tipper, I am concerned about fresh air on the ground. I seem to need air across my face more than most folks and start to feel claustrophobia if I don't get enough of it. Sure I can crack open the canopy to get some air on my face but I think it would be better at taxi speeds and below to have those vents higher up.

I have also been thinking of putting one or even two 2" PC cooling fans in line with each vent tube so that I can flick them on during approach and only take my hands away from the panel to open the canopy when the aircraft has been looked after. Has anybody tried that before and if so, is it worth it?

Any place on the main panel is good. Mine are located below the panel in the farthermost corners next to the fuselage. Plenty of air but my knee is right under the vent panel. I had to cushion the edge in order not to feel metal against my leg at times. The mention of air hitting your mike is very valid. No matter where you mount the vents you will get plenty of rushing air as you cruise at over 175 mph. In the winter, you won't want that air hitting your body at all.

Mine are in the stock position with Stein's large size vent- I'm in Louisiana- they work better than any plane I've ever been in. You can direct anywhere you want- towards the chest area works for me.
Same arrangement and result for me. Even on the ground in a tipper they provide a substantial amount of air. Once off the ground, the air quantity is about enough to blow your hat off. :)

I'm with you and want the fresh air blasting at my face/chest when I'm flying. I've installed both 2" eyeballs in the center top of the panel. They're easily adjust so that it doesn't break the intercom squelch open. Obviously that is high demand real estate in the panel world, but I am happy with the design location. It's a personal preference though... :rolleyes:

PC fans

I have also been thinking of putting one or even two 2" PC cooling fans in line with each vent tube so that I can flick them on during approach and only take my hands away from the panel to open the canopy when the aircraft has been looked after. Has anybody tried that before and if so, is it worth it?

Interesting, Loman. I've scrounged up a couple of spare PC fans with this in mind, but wasn't sure if they would work inline. If not, I might just make separate vents on the panel similar to the photo in the post above.
David

Thanks for all the ideas, and relating your experiences. I got the sub-panel/IP cleco'd together last night, and routing of the tubing doesn't look too convoluted for the high-up location. There's not a whole lot of area for the tubing to attach to the SteinAir vents, so to make it easier, I may ProSeal the stock Van's plastic collectors on the back of the panel. I figure this is pretty much the last thing to hook up after riveting the top skin in place.

BTW, I've got blisters to show for fitting the square sub-panel section over that center rib/angle assembly...tough!! Scratched the heck out of the rib, but the scratches sanded out nicely. I'm going to prime/paint these pieces as an assembly so I don't have to refit it again!

I have been wondering about this too and I bought the small Aveo units with a plan to place them above the longerons line. Building the panel is the next major phase of my project but has not yet started.

I am not concerned about velocity or volume while flying but, as mine is a tipper, I am concerned about fresh air on the ground. I seem to need air across my face more than most folks and start to feel claustrophobia if I don't get enough of it. Sure I can crack open the canopy to get some air on my face but I think it would be better at taxi speeds and below to have those vents higher up.

Hello Loman!

I can speak from limited experience, flying in a friends finished RV. He has the small Stein vents (which I also bought and have installed in the traditional place). I had been wondering whether to get the large vents or the small ones. I can tell you confidently, the small vents supply PLENTY of air. Even on the ground, I was never uncomfortable. And as soon as you crack open the canopy, there is a lot of air in the cabin! I wouldn't worry. :)

Back