What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto Props info

Moondog

Well Known Member
Will be ordering a prop in about 6 months. Catto props get some good posts on VAF so I want to consider them, but their website doesn?t say much and so far they?ve not responded to my email. There is a lot written about generation 1 props vs generation 2 etc. but I?m not sure what that means. Also would like to know what to expect for prices (approximately) of 2-blade vs 3-blade, if anyone can help with that.

props.

Seems they are one of those firms that is just busy making props and don't have a tech person or an email/website person. Lots of notes on here about how hard they are to get a hold of and how they never reply to emails.
BUT...

I have had a 3 blade of theirs for years and LOVE it. You need to pick up the phone and call the old fashioned way. They make great props, are very busy and if Craig picks up the phone, he is a very good guy.

CALL, order, be happy. PS order way in advance.

And three blader is way cooler than two! :D:p Just saying...

Phone!

What the previous poster said. Craig is just down the highway from me, and I've been there a couple of times. He and his crew are pretty busy making props, and they don't always get around to their email every day. But if you call, you'll get the information you need.

Thanks, Bob K.

Call in the a.m. EST for best results, it may take 4-5 tries but you will get through and they are great. Definitely order ahead of time, find out when they are scheduled to do a production run of your prop of interest and put in your order. Unless your RV is drastically different he just needs the model/engine to make the proper prop.
I lucked out and put my order in last Jan as they were starting a run of 3 blade RV props, I received it beginning of May. I didn't have to pay until it shipped since my prop was very common and there was always someone waiting in line. I believe my 3 blade 68X74 (Gen 2 I think) with nickel leading edges, saber spacer/bolts, cutting the spinner and shipping ($150) was around $3850.
Yes I like and recommend it.

Gen 2?

. . . my 3 blade 68X74 (Gen 2 I think). . . .

What is the significance of a Gen 2 vs a Gen 1 prop--is this industry terminology or just Catto? Don't think I've run across this description with other manufacturers but almost always in posts about Catto. Haven't been able to determine from the posts what it means.

It's just his newest design.

You would have to talk to Craig for specifics but my Gen 2 has a lower static RPM/spools up faster/higher top speed (more performance) than his first generation of 3 blades.

Just a guess but the only reason to buy a Gen 1 is $$ on the used market.

If you need the prop in 6 months, you might want to consider ordering it much sooner than later. There seems to always be a sizable waiting list ranging from a couple months to as long as 6 months for their props. Last summer when I found a crack in my old Aymar-Demuth wood prop, the wait for a new Catto 2-blade with nickle leading edges was given as 6 months. Gen1 vs Gen2 is Catto's lingo for older vs newer blade profile designs. Keep in mind that a 3-blade prop of any brand can make routine removal and reinstall of the cowling more difficult than a 2-blade, especially on an -A nosewheel model. A buddy at my airport has the 3-blade Catto on his RV-6 and it took a while to figure out what routine works best for getting the cowing on and off, and he's got pretty good space between the spinner and the cowl, a nice tight spinner gap would only make it even harder.

Catto Prop

You are thinking, interested in, and inquiring on a prop that many are enjoying and sharing experiences on! I'm new to Craig's prop. As a retired engineer that pays attention to detail and is still learning, I can tell you that Craig will design and produce the prop for your application. Generation... no such thing, only terminology some are using. My prop was ordered in October 2013 and manufactured in January 2014. I fly pleasure cross country and a lot of formation flight. Craig designed my 3-blade accordingly. I'm flying an RV-4 w/O-320-D3G/160hp. It's perfect for my preference of flight. The high RPM's I can realize (2900) are there if I want it it. That's the beauty of his design. The increase of climb and quick response at 100 mph is incredible. B.. A.. looking
at a fair price... David Bell, Broussard, Louisiana.

Also would like to know what to expect for prices (approximately) of 2-blade vs 3-blade, if anyone can help with that.

Prices went up because they have to use carbon fiber to match the harmonics of the nickel edges.

each nickle edge is $250.

2 blade prop is around $2200.

3 blade prop is around $2500.

hope that helps.

Two bladed currently is $2050. Three bladed is $2550. Nickel leading edge option is $250 per blade. Spinners are available fit to the propellers at $425 and $475 respectively.

Unfortunately they are impossible to communicate with. Email is obviously not their strong suit and calling doesn't help since they are not picking up and the voice mailbox is full so it just says thanks and goodbye.

Craig is in the process of moving to a larger facility and he's at it 7 days a week to keep up production, design the new facility and install all the equipment, build the tables, booths, plumbing the air lines, building walls, stringing power, setting up the office, filing and production tracking systems, etc. etc......
Be patient - it's worth it!

Leave an email,They will get back to you!

I spoke to Craig in 2010 when I acquired my engine core,he sent me an invoice which sat for a couple of years I sent 1/2 upfront,got an email 2 months later requesting color choice with in two weeks I had a work of art on my door step.Nicole always returned my emails with in 24hours and it was completely painless.After the fact Craig sent the patterns for the spinner cutouts,I think there is a youtube video on how to do this.I called Sam at Saber,he asked for a few pieces of info and within a few days I have everything I need for the install.Painless and well supported.I went without the nickel edges for my budget,lightweight build That saves $750 off the top.This was my choice,I'd recommend the Nickel edges and will have them on my next Catto prop.Vlad is 1/2 way to TBO and still fly's his Catto 3b and hes been everywhere!:)
RHill

Last edited:
Back