What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Age Did You Finish Your RV?

What Age Did You Finish Your RV?

• Total voters

turbo

Well Known Member
the post by bastien and his RV-8 motivated me to start this poll.

at what age did you finish your rv? if you are a multi builder you can vote for each build. if anyone has done better than bastien i will be surprised.

congrats to all builders. i am a mear buyer and flyer.

:p;):D:eek::):(:confused::mad::rolleyes::cool:

Last edited:
I'd suggest the most significant factor isn't age or knowledge, but money. A big percentage build only after satisfying life's other obligations.

Finished the -6 at 44 (started at 39). Finished the -8A at 54. I resemble
Dan H's remarks.........

I'd suggest the most significant factor isn't age or knowledge, but money. A big percentage build only after satisfying life's other obligations.

Yep. I'd say most 18-20 year olds are pretty much broke and barely have enough $$ to put gas in the car... so when I hear of a youngster finishing and flying an RV, I'm impressed and think "good for you", but I also can't help but think they're lucky to have Mom and Dad paying for it.

Started my -8 QB at 34, flew at 37.

I WILL BE done by the time I am 50 so I am going to go ahead and vote in the 40's category!

**** or high water, I WILL BE DONE SOON!

;) CJ

I helped several friends build RVs over the past 7-8 years (and got some scars to prove it). Figured I'm too busy and getting too old to ever completely build one of my own, so at age 50 I bought one ready to fly :D

My 8A took flight

When I was 30, started at 28, paid everything in cash as I went, without help from Mommy and Daddy!

Some do things as life allows with inspiration from others

I have ideas with a healthy dose of conservatism that sometimes needed my soul mate to tip the balance. We started our RV-6A the month I turned 60. I was heavily involved in flight projects at JPL and I had a 4 hour chunk of time taken out of my life each day commutimg to and from work. Completion was never in doubt - it just took time - 8 years of it. My category is 70 or less. I have been flying the plane for 8 years now. My inspiration is gone from my life but I did fly 9.2 flight hours solo from Fayetteville, Arkansas to Coeur D'Alene, Idaho yesterday with one leg IFR for a cross country air race here tomorrow. I'm planning to stop at the Van's Homecoming on the way home tomorrow.

Bob Axsom

Not finished yet so I have not added my stats, however I am hoping to finish in the next 12-18 months which would put me at 26. The only help Mommy and Daddy have given me would be holding a bucking bar to help pound some rivets. It hasn't been easy but how much fun would it be if everything was simple?

-david

I will never forget my wife's words when I told her I wanted to build an airplane. She paused for a couple minutes (a loooong time!) and said, "Well, you don't want to do it when you are 70." I was 59 at the time. I ordered the first kit the next day.

In answer to "...how much fun would it be if it were simple?" I can say as much, or even more. After supervising the build of an RV-12, I can say it was great to watch the builders learn. The 12 is easier, and supervising means less DNA spread about the construction. I guess you could call that a vicarious build, although I will admit to pulling a few rivets here and there. I recommend it!

Bob

Last edited:
Amanda was 38

Our airplane turned 2 this past August 8th. Amanda and I worked on that darrrn airplane together. I was 41 and she was 38. Today we thoroughly enjoy the airplane. I agree with the comment that you are never really done. But that is part of what makes it fun!

I built my 7 from August 2006 - November 2007. I was 56 when I finished it. I built a Backcountry Supercub from June 2008 - March 2011. I was 60 when I finished it. I am now finishing another 7 and I am 61. Looking to do another Cub after that. Don

average age or total?

We are nearing completion (painting now). When we, my son Doug and I, started the build together, he was 13 and I was 53. His 16th birthday will be at the end of November. I entered my age in the poll.

(And yes, when I die, I want to be reincarnated as one of my children!)

NB: he intends to test for his driver's license first. Then, weather permitting here in Oregon, solo second.

I'll be 54 or close to it when it's ready to go. I started in 05 and the plan was to be a couple of years, but life happens.

besides, age is just a number. People say I don't look 53, but they remember me when I did. :D

Started on Race 391 quickbuild RV8 at age 28 and finished at age 31. Been going as fast as I can ever since.

Back