What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying with the canopy removed

burgundyja

Well Known Member
Has anyone ever tried removing the canopy? Are there any wierd issues? What speeds did you get? I have a 8a. I am thinking of a jumper out of my aircraft. Maybe toilet. Paper drop.

Personally, I wouldn't advise it. You will be a "test pilot" for sure.

On consideration about jumping from the airplane in flight, check your operating limitations. Paragraph (20) should state: "This aircraft must not be used for glider towing, banner towing, or intentional parachute jumping."

been done

There's a picture floating around of a guy in TX that did it on a straight -8. I have no idea if he kept it slow or how it handled.

On consideration about jumping from the airplane in flight, check your operating limitations. Paragraph (20) should state: "This aircraft must not be used for glider towing, banner towing, or intentional parachute jumping."

Is there a digital copy of this operating limitations?

As you can see in the link attached, it's been done on the -8. Joe Waltz in Conroe (pictured). Said it flew fine. Ok for the guy in front. Very windy in back. Been posted here before, somewhere.

Mike Melvill decided to take a spin in his Long EZ while the canopy was off and he was building a rollover structure.
Said later "never again"......

I know someone who flew an rv-4 with no canopy. He kept the speeds low and had no problems, except it was loud and windy. He's probably reading this so maybe he will tell the story.

Back