What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VFR pilot practicing IFR?

Radioflyer

Well Known Member
At the risk of sounding unwashed...Can a VFR pilot, with his buddy safety pilot (also only VFR rated), request practice IFR approach procedures when weather is VFR? (Presumably, the VFR pilot would know how and what to practice within his limits of IFR study and/or instruction.) Furthermore, can a non-ifr rated pilot call the tower and request practice approach for ILS X and then proceed to fly the approach in VFR conditions, even if his GPS is not IFR certified or his equipment is beyond the 2 yr inspection?

OK, I think

I asked my friend (and CFII) if I could test out my Sportys SP-400 in VFR conditions.

The SP-400 has VOR, GS & LOC functions.

He said it would be OK.

I'd like to see how the GS & LOC functions work.

Dave
-9A flying

When doing my PPL I did a few practice ILS approachs with my CFI just to see how it works and how to fly the needles (while under the foggles for part of my 3hrs of instrument time). Seems like ATC doesn't really care as long as you aren't being a burden on them getting actual airline traffic in safely.

Yes and No ....

Yes, you can fly a practice instrument procedure under VFR conditions, as long as you comply with the published airspace and WX restrictions, Class B, C, D or E requirements prescribed for VFR.

If you are wearing a hood/foggles, then your safety pilot needs to be rated in class/category as well.

Yes, you can use the GPS to fly the approach (or any equipment), technically, you are operating under VFR flight rules, as long as you comply with VFR requirements.

If you have not had a pitot/static/transponder certifcation in the previous 24 months, then you can NOT use the transponder. Therefore, you still have to comply with the requirements for the airspace, Class B, C, D, or E, which means without approval, Class B or C operations are prohibited.

NOTE: for the purists, I avoided any references to IMC or IFR operations.

I used to

When I was doing my flight training and flew airplanes with "fancy" avionics, I would do it all the time. Follow the Localizer BC in from 10 miles out, or set up the ILS and follow that in. Obviously looking outside, but just using it for guidance, as a nav-aid.
Just because the navigation equipment is set up for IFR use doesn't mean you cannot use it VFR.

When I was doing my IFR and practicing in a single, many of the instructor's IFR ratings had expired. Yes we stayed VFR and in VMC at all times with instuctors who's ratings had expired. Interestinly, I never actually flew IFR in IMC until my flight test.

Practice

As a certificated pilot without an instrument rating you may fly any instrument procedures you wish as long as:

1) If under a hood you have a safety pilot
2) You fly the procedures under visual flight rules

In some parts of the country a practice approach can be under IMC or VMC conditions. Asking for a practice approach might be construed as an IFR request. Just make sure you are always in VMC conditions and you explicitly state your will be under VFR. That way they know what you are doing, how to handle you, and it relieves them of separation requirements.

Here's what I do: "XYZ approach, Bonanza 12345 requests a practice ILS Rwy 11 Propwash Airport (with a planned miss or to a full stop)...will remain VFR"

You'll typically get a clearance with "maintain VFR" at the end.

Don

Absolutely, in fact for the required 40 hour training, only 20 hours of that is required to be with a CFI pilot and the other 20 hours can be done with a safety pilot. Of course this is while you comply with all the VFR rules for the airspace, equipment and cloud clearance.

All these answers have been helpful. Glad I asked. What I was particularly afraid of was that I might be unwittingly "posing" as an IFR rated pilot. But from what I gather, it depends on how you phrase the request such as with "...will remain VFR". Also, I guess that requesting a practice approach, doesn't automatically enter you into the IFR system.

You can also fly them solo....

....while VFR and no safety pilot, as long as you're not under the hood/foggles.

I do that all the time to observe the 430W and 496 actions during a lot of my approaches.

Best,

Also keep in mind two things: Right of way rules, and the traffic pattern. And that many VFR pilots have absolutely no idea about approaches and where to look for you when you announce your position and intentions.

I have heard numerous pilots make statements on the radio at un-controlled airports that "we announced XYZ approach!" when trying to chastize the people in the normal pattern while they barrel in like they own the place.

I think everyone should practice approaches as often as appropriate. Someday it may save your butt. At the least it will make you a more rounded pilot.

Mark

Last edited:
... Also, I guess that requesting a practice approach, doesn't automatically enter you into the IFR system.
That is correct. Many ATC facilities (away from the busy hubs of course) actually welcome practice approaches because they want the operation counts :cool:

Back