What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR woes

wizard

I am having fun :( trying to schedule my IFR checkride. I have an Advanced 3500 with a 430W, Trutrak ADI and VSGV, backup airspeed and altimeter. The DPE that I am trying to work with is checking with local FSDO to see how he will test me on the "no gyro" approach. They are telling him, first of all, that the Advanced system is not certified for IFR flight, therefore, the aircraft is not IFR capable. I know that there are plenty of you out there that are flying IFR with the system (or other experimental EFIS systems); is there a piece of paper (other than the requisite 24-month pito/static and transponder system test) that is available for the experimental EFIS systems that allow you to fly IFR? If not, where in the regulations can I point the FSDO folks to for their education?

Another question for those who performed their IFR checkride with and EFIS; how did your DPE have you perform the "no-gyro" or failed system approach.

Last edited:
Brian,

I have the AF-3500 and took my IFR checkride w/out any issues. I might suggest you chat w/ Rob at Advanced to see how best to handle.

The CFR's do NOT require TSO certification for IFR flight, as long as you meet the minimum requirements, Part 91.205, which is met by the AF3500, as long as the pitot/static, and altitude encoder are current, etc...

As far as no-gyro approach, I simply switched the AF3500 into the "AIR/EMS" mode, which is exactly the same as loosing a gyro.

You could always pop the CB if the DPE is being uncooperative.

Good luck,

Gary

Last edited:
Brian,

I used the GNS-430W page, which has the CDI scale, along with the backup compass, airspeed and altimeter round gauges, as I was on a GPS approach.

Alternately, I could have used the backup nav/com and ILS head if'n on a ILS/LOC/VOR approach, w/out the GNS-430W.

Gary

Back