What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun-N-Fun 2010

cyberpilot10

Well Known Member
Well Sun-n-Fun is 47 days away. Time to start the count down. My wife Cammie and I are going to host another get together this year if anyone would like to have one. Our camper will be up in the exhibit area again this year. Same place as last year. just south east of the Cessna building. A map is to follow soon. I know carrying around those chairs all day is a pain, so you will be welcome to use our camper as a drop off spot and a meeting spot if you wish. If a get together sounds good, we need to decide what evening ? Last year we had a good turn out and to my suprise my 40th Birthday Party. Thanks to all that attended I had a great time. I will be attending the second of three Volunteer meetings this Saturday, If there is any big news I will share it with you.

Regards
Rich Denton

Rich,

I'd like to come meet you and enjoy a RV gathering of some kind. I'm not yet sure when I'll be there, but it will most likely be 4/16 and 4/17. Keep us posted.

David Watson
49FD

update

The Air Force Thunderbirds will be flying Thurs. Fri. Sat. & Sun. there will also be a C-17 Demo flight along with a heritage with a C-47. They have confirmed Three CV-22 Osprey aircraft 1 static and 2 in the air. Don't forget when selecting your camping space, the evacuation during the Thunderbirds Flights.

kism

I have a cheap room in kism. This is my first year going to sun n fun. Should I drive or fly from kism. I will have my day vfr 8a in kism. I fly in at kosh every year in a ifr aircraft.

Fly or drive

If flying into Osh is no prob for you then I would fly. but thats just me. At least you have the option. Kism is just 50 miles from Sun-n-Fun. and it is mostly using Interstate 4. Its probably faster to drive. Especially when you consider the holds around the lake waiting to get put into line to land. and when you buy all those new toys you don't have to figure out how to get them all stuffed into the back of your 8A.....LOL....Just not as cool to arrive in the car....I will be there in my RV. Wishing it was the 8 and not one with 6 wheels and a 5th wheel plate LOL

Regards
Rich Denton

Last edited:
The Air Force Thunderbirds will be flying Thurs. Fri. Sat. & Sun. there will also be a C-17 Demo flight along with a heritage with a C-47. They have confirmed Three CV-22 Osprey aircraft 1 static and 2 in the air. Don't forget when selecting your camping space, the evacuation during the Thunderbirds Flights.

The evacuation of the campground is a MAJOR inconvenience. They throw you out anytime they think the T-Birds might be flying and for around 4 hours on thursday thru sunday. Several of us always bring both RVs (camper and plane). Just doing the plane this year.

I am planning to be there for several days. I just don't know what several days! If you set something up than I will be there!

Brazilian newbies.

Me and my father are coming from Brazil.
This will be our first main aviation event and my father?s (64 yo) first time to the US.
Needless to say how excited we are.
My Rv9 wings and empenage kits have just arived, and I?m definetely in for any RV meeting. There is so much to learn and share with you guys.
Question: we?re staying in a hotel near Orlando and driving to the show everyday. Too hard to park?

Rodrigo and Jos? Oliveira

Me and my father are coming from Brazil.
This will be our first main aviation event and my father?s (64 yo) first time to the US.
Needless to say how excited we are.
My Rv9 wings and empenage kits have just arived, and I?m definetely in for any RV meeting. There is so much to learn and share with you guys.
Question: we?re staying in a hotel near Orlando and driving to the show everyday. Too hard to park?

Rodrigo and Jos? Oliveira
Parking is not a problem. There are several grass lots adjacent to the gate entrance.

Stop By

It's official again this year. We are going to have a party at the camper. Menu TBD probably pulled BBQ Beef...Thanks once again to our cow ( Dinner ) who is no longer with us. We are going to do something a little different this year. We are going to move this from our pool deck.

wuq7ww.jpg

and install it into the back of this.

23k6vcm.jpg

and will be located here!

9znejt.jpg

you are all invited to stop by and pull on this

ddyyhh.jpg

My plan is to be finished in the volunteer kitchen every day by 5:00pm

Regards
Rich Denton

I don't know...

Ahhh, you know Rich, now that I see the hole thing set up, I'm not sure if I'm coming. I don't think there is enough INFRASTRUCTURE:D
Man, that's amazing. See you there.

Regards,

Rodrigo and Jose Oliveira

P.S. Did you set up an specific date and time? What should we bring?

I'll be at SNF all week, so if anyone is wandering by the EAA membership tent stop in and say "hi". If I'm not there I'm probably giving a forum, so check the forum schedule and drop by if you're in that neck of the woods.

Burgundyia,

If you do plan to drive into Sun N Fun from Kissimmee, I recommend that you take I-4 to the Polk Parkway toll road. Going that way has less traffic and will take you real close to the airport without having to drive through Lakeland.

Once you are on the Parkway you will drive around 18 miles and get off the Parkway at the Drane Field Road exit (mile marker 7ish), at the exit light make a left under the overpass and go straight through the next light onto Waring Road. Go til it ends at a "T" and make a right on (I think) Old Medulla Road. Follow it to Pipkin Road and make another right. The parking entrance is just down the road on the right. I can usually make it from my house in Kissimmee in less than an hour.
If you have any questions, call me at 407-791-9624

get together which night

trying to decide what evening to have the get together at my camper....Thurday, April 15th or Saturday April 17th....and trying to figure out how much food,,Please chime in if you would like to attend, and if so which night....Friday is out because the wife really likes to attend the night airshow...so do the boys..

Thanks

Rich Denton

Any day works for me and a couple of Ruskies if that microbrewery is at the back of the camper :D

Hope I can make it

I'm working as Doctor of the Day on Wednesday, April 14 but if the gathering is on Thursday or Friday I will try to sneak over after work. I live in the St. Pete area so it takes me only an hour to drive over. I plan on flying over on Wednesday but only for that day.

Oops

I meant that I could drive over on Thursday or Saturday. Enjoying a cold beer precludes flying over. I guess planning my beer consumption makes up part of the preflight planning, right?

Almost a doctors party..

Hey,
that's nice to hear. Me and my dad are also doctors, but thanks god we're off duty. It's going to be nice to meet a flying colleague :)
See you there

Rodrigo and Jose Oliveira

Great to hear from you

Knowing that, I will make it a point to be at the party. I will be in the first aid station for a couple of hours on Wednesday and then wandering about the flight line and exhibits.

Bill Near

Well I vote for Saturday - we are a bunch of Brits coming over. We arrive on Thursday and will be at the show Fri thru Sun.

We can tell lies and tall stories and let you Colonials know where your roots are from :D

Oh, and we drink beer.

El Jueves por favor!!!!

My wife and me will be arrive at sun n fun on thursday and will be very happy to attend to your meeting, we could bring some bottle of "PISCO" Chilean Spirit.:D

You do what?

The evacuation of the campground is a MAJOR inconvenience. They throw you out anytime they think the T-Birds might be flying and for around 4 hours on thursday thru sunday. Several of us always bring both RVs (camper and plane). Just doing the plane this year.

I've been wanting to do that but I haven't found a good way to attach a trailer hitch to the plane, have you got any pictures. :eek:

Saturday Get Together

The Captain of the family has made the decision, and because she is the one who will be prepairing the BBQ...I will just say Yes Dear....so there you have it. We will be having an RV get together at our camper, location is on the first page of this post....Saturday evening April 17th 2010. Menu consist of Pulled BBQ Beef, baked beans and mac and cheese....chips and dips and all that stuff....southern BBQ at it's finest. Bud Light on tap, and Jim Beam and Coke....I hope to see you all there....My Cell# 813-785-6919

Regards

Rich Denton

BBQ

I didn't see anything about how to help out with the cost of this. Is there so much per head or a donation taken? No need for you to shoulder the cost of this.

I didn't see anything about how to help out with the cost of this. Is there so much per head or a donation taken? No need for you to shoulder the cost of this.

I second that. Last year Rich hosted and payed for everything. We had great time. Link here This year it will be even more fun...

Let us know how to help

How can we all help out? Do you need dollars? I'll have my van (driving over from Vero Beach) so I can fetch supplies or ferry people.

Thanks

I appreciate the offers to help out!!!! My wife and I throw two parties a year, Her's is 4th of July and mine is Sun-n-Fun....We don't really know how many people will show up, so we are going to make a bunch of BBQ and things and hope we have enough to feed all that stop by...If you don't get anything to eat sorry you should have been there sooner LOL ha ha aha!!!!! It's nothing formal just a bunch of like minded people hangin and telling stories, hopefully not the same ones as last year....LOL. I will put a tip cup on the top of the Beer fridge,,,if you want to add to it OK if not, enjoy,,,,not trying to fund my RV 8, I just want to have fun and hang out. If we run out of Beer and Beam the store is not far away...

Looking foward to meeting you all!!!!!

Rich Denton

Last edited:
It will be great!

Me and my dad will be there

will try to bring some brazilian "chacha?a"
The sugar cane alcohol everybody likes :)

Regards
Rodrigo and Jos

Cut the cord

I will be without Internet access unless I can sweet talk the IT dept. at sun-n-fun. I am moving in tonight,,,,Volunteer Kitchen is already making sandwiches for the volunteers for lunch...we made 450 today...and it ramps up each day till we hit 3,000 MOL on Friday and Saturday....taking my laptop just in case they give me access.....If not my Cell# 813-785-6919. If you need to find me....see you all there!!!!!!!!

Regards
Rich Denton

BBQ

Bobbi and I will be there, it was a great visit last year. Good food, cold beer and good folks.

Anyone looking for cheap, last minute SnF accomidations the Super 8 in Mulberry, FL (15 min drive to the parking area at SNF) is nearly vacant! Rooms as low as $55 a night. Clean, free highspeed wifi, coffee & juice in the am, daily maid service, pool. No food or bar, but plenty of places in the area.

Last edited:
I appreciate the offers to help out!!!! My wife and I throw two parties a year, Her's is 4th of July and mine is Sun-n-Fun....We don't really know how many people will show up, so we are going to make a bunch of BBQ and things and hope we have enough to feed all that stop by...If you don't get anything to eat sorry you should have been there sooner LOL ha ha aha!!!!! It's nothing formal just a bunch of like minded people hangin and telling stories, hopefully not the same ones as last year....LOL. I will put a tip cup on the top of the Beer fridge,,,if you want to add to it OK if not, enjoy,,,,not trying to fund my RV 8, I just want to have fun and hang out. If we run out of Beer and Beam the store is not far away...

Looking foward to meeting you all!!!!!

Rich Denton

That is really kind of you Rich, but put a coffee can out and a sign that says "Donations". I'm sure everyone would want to kick in their "intake" share. ;)

Is the bar open yet? I need a little beer for my cornflakes. :D

Last edited:
Bar is Open

the Bar is officially open today Monday anytime after 5:00....someone stoped by for a beer last night, sorry I was not at the camper....

Regards

Rich

Last edited:
BBQ

Hi Tony: It starts around 5PM. I plan on being there but driving, not flying in so I can imbibe (sensibly, of course). I'm flying in tomorrow for the for doctor of the day stuff. It'll be good to see you again.

Bill Near

rv oasis

Hi Rich,
My husband and I are new RV-8 owners, anxious to meet, learn, and of course, eat and drink. Don't know if the IT folks will allow you to get this, but I'll be looking for you. Regards, and thank you for offering to be such a generous host. What is your wife's name?
Barbara Hunt
Lakeville, MA

Hello

Hi Barbara......

My wife is Cammie....she will be here on Thursday or Friday...can't wait to meet you both....

Rich

Rich,
I am going to try and stop by Thursday afternoon or Friday to say hello and introduce myself to any fellow RVer's hanging out at your trailer.
Randy

Thursday

Bill, I will look forward to seeing you there. I have to be at the part time job that pays for my RV addition on Saturday afternoon. I will try to drive over in time to participate in the BBQ and hang out with the VAF gang.

I was in the area yestarday and looked around to find Rich's location. I will be there again on Thursday and may stop by after 5 if there will be people around. It seems that lots of people will be using Rich's place as a hangout. I look forward to meeting all of them.

Do people hang out there every evening after the show?

Here are a few pics of SnF if anyone is interested.

http://picasaweb.google.com/102247913595773157652

My -12 is the red & white one.

Jim's -12 is the military paint scheme.

Vern Henderdson's is the red tailed -12.

The crowd was crazy busy today. Lots of people in very good moods. Weather is fantastic, breezy, a few sprinckles, but VERY low humidity, and warm!

Last edited:
One of the best RV-6s I've seen! Of course I am biased. This one is based at our home airport here in Conroe!

SnF%20030.jpg

Larry,

Thank goodness you didn't get a picture of me impersonating a SnF Official!

I managed to steel err, borrow an orange vest and golf cart to run from HBC to Van's tent to pick up another builder so he could check out the planes and tents. Then later I had to procure said vest and cart to give him a ride to his camp site, on the other end of the field.

Just so you don't think I'm a total J.D., I did give a gentleman a ride who was on crutches and was having a difficult time getting around.

One another note, on Wednesday I was talking to some friends at the auto conversion area when a gentleman collapsed with some type of seizure. A bunch of homebuilders (who just happened to all own RV’s) jumped to his aid and stuffed something in his mouth to keep him from biting off his tongue, rolled him on his side so he wouldn’t drown on his own fluids, and generally kept him from hurting himself with convulsions.

The EMT’s arrived and worked on the guy and eventually loaded him up and drove him to the hospital.

The good news is that he was seen walking by the auto conversions on Thursday morning as if nothing had happened. That was great to hear.

Last edited:
Back