What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Post # 1

bret

Well Known Member
So just sitting here lurking for O........ a month or 6 and wanted to ask. what was the breaking point to where you actualy broke down and started on an RV. Another question is how did your wife or girlfriend endour the 2,000 or so build hours. I am gearing up the shop and tooling, waiting to jump in. I know this may take 2 to 10 years and 50 to 100K but I think I am ready. got the bench built, lighting, tools, built an experimental bucking bar. what do you think, 1.5" x 2" x 2.5". stainless steel box casing .250 wall, filled with molten led. weighed out to 2.5 Lbs.

So just sitting here lurking for O........ a month or 6 and wanted to ask. what was the breaking point to where you actualy broke down and started on an RV. Another question is how did your wife or girlfriend endour the 2,000 or so build hours. I am gearing up the shop and tooling, waiting to jump in. I know this may take 2 to 10 years and 50 to 100K but I think I am ready. got the bench built, lighting, tools, built an experimental bucking bar. what do you think, 1.5" x 2" x 2.5". stainless steel box casing .250 wall, filled with molten led. weighed out to 2.5 Lbs.

Dreamed for 8 years and started building the -3 in Nov of 2008. I can say that I didn't make a mistake on following my dream! Enjoy every process in the build. Oh yea, you'll make alot more friends in the process!!

Dreamed for 8 years and started building the -3 in Nov of 2008. I can say that I didn't make a mistake on following my dream! Enjoy every process in the build. Oh yea, you'll make alot more friends in the process!!

Okay, Stephen, now I don't feel so bad...been dreaming for 8 years now myself. One of these days...

well being a blue collar worker, I have my mind set on a RV 7A slow build,200HP CS prop. been following other builders on their sites, like Star Trek...but not, ready to go where so many have gone before, and so much info to be gained. when I was in High School there was not this In Tro Net thing E, but now...wow!

Just Start

You'll make many more friends than you lose. My suggestion on keeping the other half happy is to make her comfortable in or very near your build area. I started in the garage for a year or so, and finished in a hangar with our motorhome in the hangar too. TV, Internet, Kitchen, POTTY, etc withing 25ft of my work area has (so far) kept everyone happy...:D

Best of luck...

Find a GF or wifey that wants you to get out her way! Also, never let your GF meet your wifey or you'll loose all 3. The plane, the GF and the wifey. Just ask Tiger!

Ok, I just have to ask..... if you were building an RV.....how in the He!! did you have time for a wife and a GF?

Welcome to the Jungle (forum).......

Don't wait too long..... I went over to watch a friend's test fly in April 06, looked at the avionics and thought I can do this. Didn't have a license, but did buy a project in June 06. Started building in Jul 06 and finished in Mar 09. Still don't have a license, but that old checkride is getting close.

My one regret in life is "I didn't start in Aviation earlier in life, but better late than never"

You will have a great time building, better time flying it.

You're ready when you're ready!

You still have some major decisions to make. The decisions that you make will mark a turning point in your life!!!

Since you asked for opinion, here is mine - you need to assess how much genuine SUPPORT you will receive from your wife or GF. You don't say whether it's a GF or a wife but there can be a HUGH difference here. Divorces are really expensive. How badly do you want an airplane?

For the rest of your life with the person that you didn't mention, will you be a leader or a follower? Which do you choose to be? Decide and then stick to it. Unless you are an unusually driven person, you need the SUPPORT of whomever will be your helper.

My advice to you is that if you don't have the full SUPPORT of whomever then you should seriously consider not building an RV or anything else. In fact, have a good look at yourself and find out why you don't/didn't have the SUPPORT of that person.

You might be better off purchasing your airplane or giving up on the idea completely. On the other hand, if its a GF and she doesn't SUPPORT you, then find one who will SUPPORT you as you two build your future together. If its a wife then assess how much SUPPORT you will get and make your decision about building or flying based on that assessment. My 2 cents worth based on my life experiences. Best of building to you!!!

Actually, the RV builder needs both...

...a wife and a girl friend. The reason is that when you are not around, the wife will think you are with the girl friend, and the girl friend will think you are with the wife.

That gives you the time to get out to the shop and work on the plane.

Turning point

Glad you asked - I love telling this story.

The short version: My turning point came when an instructor of mine in college (USAFA) told me that he'd like to build an airplane someday, but right now he "just didn't have time". He was about 40, I was 20. So that guy was 20 years older than me and never found the time. I was immediately convinced that you can never FIND the time, you will have to MAKE the time. So I started the thing when I was 22, finished it at 29, and now I have many decades to enjoy it.

My advice: just get started.

Lots of good advice here, I am 46 and been through 2 divorce deals, not ready to go there again, got a PPL at age 25, was 90% with instrument training then had a family, well unless you are welthy you know my story, got too expensive. but the kids are moving on and lots of time for a new hobby now. Built and flew RC planes, hydro boat, several musle car builds and a twin engine offshore boat. I think building this will be more of a chalenge then all of the above. Any one here around Reno, I am 1 1/2 hr. south.

Welcome!

Bret,
I haven't finished yet (3.5 yrs into it) so take my advice for what it's worth. I did about 6 months of research before starting my RV-8 including flying in RVs. Once I had settled on the -8 (slow build), I scraped together enough for the empennage kit and an Avery tool kit and got started. I had no plans on how to pay for the rest of it, but I figured it would work out. So far it has. I payed cash for each subkit as I needed them and did the bank thing for fwf, avionics, finishing stuff.

As for the significant other, I committed to making the project have a minimal impact on family life (I have 3 kids) so I get up and work on the airplane at least an hour everyday BEFORE work. On weekends I do more if the schedule allows. I also include my kids when possible which really helps.

So far I'm on track to complete in about a year- I hope.
Works for me. Results may vary!
Good luck and don't wait on pulling the trigger - you'll regret it.

Oh yeah, build a -7 not a -7A - you won't regret that.

Last edited:
I don't think that bucking bar will work as you might hope. I could be wrong however, wouldn't be the first time. Nothing beats a tungsten bar.

Bret,
I dreamed and planned on my project for about 6 years before actually getting started. I went to fly-ins, toured Vans factory and went for a ride, joined the local chapter and went to meetings, built and prepared my shop, accumulated a tool collection, and got my finances in order as best as I could. With all you've done so far, I'd say you're already in up to your knees. So just jump in! If you wait until the time is "just right" you'll never get there. It's never perfect.

As far as balancing time with the other half and keeping a family together, that's a huge subject. I've written a lot on my web pages that may help you so I won't repeat it here, but I detailed how I got my wife's support and her interest.

JordanGrant is right. You won't find the time; you have to make the time. For me, it was as easy as shutting off the TV, putting down the remote and getting RID of the easy chair. Spend that time in the shop instead. Something's gotta give. You'll figure out what gives when you want it bad enough.

Good luck to you! Keep us posted, okay?

Hey Bret, there are a bunch of us up here at RTS with RVs and building experience, so just let us know if you need help or a motivational ride. Wellington's not very far from here, especially in an RV! I've been into Rosaschi before, but given the condition of the "paved" runway probably wouldn't want to try my RV there. And Yerington isn't too far from you. Anyway, feel free to contact me any time as I'm always willing to return the favor the previous builders gave me.

greg

And it definitely helps to have a supportive significant other. Julia shot a lot of rivets on our airplane.

Last edited:
I think lead is way too soft. Get a tungsten, I find myself wanting to buck with it instead of using the squeezer sometimes!

If you are inclined to build an RV, then you probably enjoy doing and building other things with your spare time. How does your wife/gf act when you work on those? Is she genuinely supportive or see you working in the garage as competition to her?

Take a trip to the EAA RV Class. It will help you immensely and you can see if you have the mechanical aptitude to begin the build.

A History

Building an airplane is very demanding and expensive in the familiar sense but the opportunity cost is even greater. For the average person the decision takes you out of the mainstream of tradition upward mobile life and takes you off on a potential limiting branch. If you have limited professional achievement do you really think this is the best way to spend you time, money and opportunity resources?

In 1996 I could see retirement in the future. We had bought a Piper Archer II in 1982 that I flew part way to work each day and we took many trips in it as well. I loved the airplane but I hated the large bills for maintenance and felt I could do better. I looked at the Lancair 320 material a lot in those days and I had talked it over with my wife as way to be able to afford to continue flying after retirement since I could do the maintenance.

One Sunday We flew to Camarillo for and EAA event and I saw this beautiful little RV-4 that had won an award. I had never heard of an RV before but I caught up fast. When I learned of the RV-6 side-by-side RV the Lancair faded from consideration. We got a equity line of credit on our house and began the task shortly before I turned 60. This was a commitment for both of us and as they say - failure was not an option. In 2004 I made the first flight and a few months later I retired. To this day there is no regret over building the airplane but certainly in my case it was wise to take care of the career business first, which can brought great satisfaction, then enjoy the fruits of labor.

Bob Axsom

Bruce and Brent gave great advice....

....about "BALANCE". I missed that one and lost a wife, as a few on here have.

She felt that I didn't consider her from the beginning and it went downhill from there.

Your SO really needs to be on board and the two of you agree on how many hours/dollars a week, etc. you'll spend.

It really is a balancing act and the better you are at it, the smoother things will go relationally.

Best,

From post #1 to #1288, WOW! where did those last 5.7 years go, went from thinking about an RV to having an Airframe built and painted sitting in my living room, except for the fuse hanging in the garage. What a journey, this is a great site! made lots of friends, learned a ton of info from folks on here. If I can give any foresight to anyone beginning this journey, it would be the final costs of this project. I did not calculate how expensive it could be, hopefully have funding in place next year for the engine and avionics....just a flash back......maybe in 2017 I can continue this post with a first flight......to be continued..............

Faith

We are so close Bret. Keep looking forward.
My fuse comes apart this week for prep and paint so I'm not far behind you.
There may be two 7a sliders flying in 2017.:D

but wait there's more! wait till you cut your canopy in half! that was a fun part of the build.....I have one hole in my slider...

First - I hired out the remodeling of the 3/4 bathroom.

Second - I hired out the remodeling of the main bathroom, including me making the vanity.

Third - I hired out the remodeling of the main part of the house, including me making all the new kitchen cabinets.

Fourth - I had to beef up the garage foundation, which included some brick work, so I took the opportunity to add some windows since they did too. That led to adding electricity, insulation and drywall. This was all hired out. Wish I'd done the garage before making the cabinets.

After all that, I had this great shop just sitting there....

Dave

Back