What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wow.......X Winds

CNEJR

Well Known Member
The war goes on. Yesterday, I thought it was bad, winds were at about 30 degrees Xwind 14 gusting to 20. Today, they were about 70 degress 16 gusting to 22. Made about ten takeoffs & landings each day, but was really working hard. Thought I was going to make my second SOLO today, but my instructor said it was just too much. Now, have about 32 hours flying, it's fun but those pesky xwinds are pretty tough. Can't wait until the weather calms down a little.

Trying to be careful, but really want to learn. Need to do a checkride some time in Feb.

X-winds

Shoot, that does not even qualify as a breeze up here. ;)

Practice, practice, practice.

I heard you guys use logging chains as wind indicators up there. You call off flying for the day when the wind starts snapping the end links off the chain. Is that true?:eek:

Don't feel bad. We were flying around this afternoon (breaking in cylinders), and Tanya stated "you have the plane." before we ever left the ground... Something you have to work up to for sure.

great time of year

to be flying with that instructor. get all the crosswind torture you can with the instructor on board. by the time spring/summer rolls around, nothing will phase you.

My son used to work for Rans in Hayes Kansas. He said the only time wind the quit blowing was when it changed directions. 25-30 KT wind is just another good day for them. :eek:

For a wimpy lowtimer.........

Shoot, that does not even qualify as a breeze up here. ;)

Practice, practice, practice.

like me, it seemed like a lot. Just happy I was able to keep it under control, my instructor never had to touch controls. I just try to focus, give it what it needs and not over think things too much. "Sometimes I don't know enought to know I don't know."

X winds

Back in my formative years...(1959) at 18 years old, I had the distinct pleasure of learning about this beautiful country's WX out in Norman, OK.
I was assigned to the hangar north of town to assist in the Navy closing their facility in Norman. We had 2 Beech B-18's for the pilots to remain current.
We shared our Hangar ( a very large one with the Army Guard, the Univ. of OKLA flight school, and Aero Commander R & D.
One day we had the opportunity to witness a student pilot in a Champ try to follow a C-47/R-4 Gooney Bird in an attempt to land on the longest runway with about a 25 Kt X wind. Needless to say as the left wing dipped and he neglected to correct, over went the Aeronca. Wasn't hurt but he sure was dissappointed he forgot to follow his instructors admonitions about x wind component. Your post brought back lots of great memories of chasing jackrabbits with the crash truck, etc.
:)>)>

Like me, it seemed like a lot. Just happy I was able to keep it under control, my instructor never had to touch controls. I just try to focus, give it what it needs and not over think things too much. "Sometimes I don't know enought to know I don't know."

I was just up flying a couple days ago in the -12 and the wind was 300 @ 17knts gusting to 27knts landing on 35. Not a huge cross wind, but it had my attention. Best advice I can give you is relax, think about the forces on the plane, and use the controls to allow for them. "Hope" won't make a good landing, "thinking it through" and getting the "feel of the plane" is a better advice IMHO.

BTW the -12 just keeps on impressing me, exceptional rudder authority.

I heard you guys use logging chains as wind indicators up there. You call off flying for the day when the wind starts snapping the end links off the chain. Is that true?:eek:

:eek: That may be a slight exageration. ;)

Like my instructor said, get used to flying in the wind, or take up indoor tennis, this is Nebraska.

Back