- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2018, 04:32 PM

Default RV12iS or Rans S 21 outbound

I've been back and forth between buying and building an experimental for years and long story short, I have ultimately decided to build. I am currently between a Rans s21 outbound or an RV 12iS.

The RV12iS is the perfect plane to ME in every aspect..except cruise speed. Has anyone that's built E-AB found a way to decently better this to say 135kt at a reasonable altitude in reasonable conditions?

The Rans isn't quite as perfect out of the box to me as the RV12iS but I do have options for LSA or E-AB that are factory supported and can achieve my desired cruise speed but the finished product i'm not sure will have the fit and finish of an RV12.

While a plane will mainly be a "toy" for me, I would like to have a practical and useful reason to have one as well. That being that I have family in FL, SC, and NY. Being able to reach those places in the shortest amount of time possible would fill that practical reasoning.

Has anyone looked into a 915iS in a 12?

soliciting help or input from anyone who wants to chime in!
Old 11-14-2018, 05:54 PM

Will this be your first build project?
One Week Wonder Build Team, OSH 2018.
VAF paid through 10/2019.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:32 PM

Yes it will be my first build. I’ve looked at the plans for both planes and think both are more than acceptable. Rans is prob more tedious with multiple manuals but by no means a deal breaker.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:51 PM

The RV-12 is a terrific kit and a terrific airplane. The nascent S-21 looks very appealing and RANS is a long-time premier kit company. I suspect you will be happy with either one. Be brutally honest and realistic with yourself as to your actual aeronautical needs and desires. Are you a builder or a flyer? Is the incremental cruise speed increase really that important when weighed against your other criteria?

ps -- I doubt you will see any 915iS engines installed in an RV-12.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 700+ hours (as of Nov 2018)!
VAF donation through June 2019.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:35 PM

As both an RV builder and owner, I can say that I love the RV. I have a -10 and my dad has a -12. I have become spoiled in how nice and smooth and balanced the RV series of aircraft are to fly.

2 weeks ago, we went to Rans and did a demo flight in the S21. We were looking for a high wing aircraft, but didn't want to compromise on handling characteristics or comfort. The S21 was everything we were hoping for. We flew it in a 25kt wind off a short grass strip. The aircraft was very responsive and had extremely nice flying characteristics.

In addition, the people at Rans were outstanding. They have a great facility with all the equipment you would expect from a kit manufacturer of their standing.

We now have a deposit down on the S21, and I am very much looking forward to the delivery of the kit.

I don't think you can go wrong with either option. They are very different aircraft, and it's important to pick the one that best fits your needs.

Please feel free to email or give us a call if you would like any more information.

Steve

aircraftspecialty@gmail.com

www.aircraftspecialty.com
Old 11-14-2018, 07:44 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircraft Specialty View Post
2 weeks ago, we went to Rans and did a demo flight in the S21. We were looking for a high wing aircraft, but didn't want to compromise on handling characteristics or comfort. The S21 was everything we were hoping for. We flew it in a 25kt wind off a short grass strip. The aircraft was very responsive and had extremely nice flying characteristics.

In addition, the people at Rans were outstanding. They have a great facility with all the equipment you would expect from a kit manufacturer of their standing.

We now have a deposit down on the S21, and I am very much looking forward to the delivery of the kit.
Other than the fact we did our test flight in Aug--------pretty much a duplicate experience here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircraft Specialty View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with either option. They are very different aircraft, and it's important to pick the one that best fits your needs.

Steve
Read Steve's second quote above a couple time --------- this is possibly the best advice you will get on this thread.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."

Last edited by Mike S : 11-15-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:38 PM

I’m assuming your demo flights were with the 912 in the s21? What kinda climb and cruise did you all experience? I lean towards the 340 in the S21.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:09 PM

I'll let you know when I'm done! Awaiting my S-21 kit any week now. Love my -12 (560 hours since Aug 2015). The -21 is supposed to fly just as nice,that will keep me chugging along. The different styles of plans and instructions might take a bit to get used to as the -12 step by step instructions were awesome especially after building a Sonex. Might have to crack open a piggy bank for the 915 though. Last I heard its up to a 6 month wait for the Rans. I ordered the complete kit at Oshkosh and still 10 ahead of me. Oh well the Clecos are all polished up and ready to go. I have no rush to complete because the -12 will be calling me on the nice days. Plus might be fun to go EAB this time as Rans doesn't offer ELSA. Thinking nut plates already instead of timmermans and rivnuts. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2018, 05:34 AM

You can build the -12 as an E-AB, if you want.

Speeding up a -12 to 135 it's may cause some structural issues as it was designed for 120 knots cruise, I really don't know but it is something that you will need to think about.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 11-15-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk2436 View Post
I'll let you know when I'm done! Awaiting my S-21 kit any week now. Love my -12 (560 hours since Aug 2015). The -21 is supposed to fly just as nice,that will keep me chugging along. The different styles of plans and instructions might take a bit to get used to as the -12 step by step instructions were awesome especially after building a Sonex. Might have to crack open a piggy bank for the 915 though. Last I heard its up to a 6 month wait for the Rans. I ordered the complete kit at Oshkosh and still 10 ahead of me. Oh well the Clecos are all polished up and ready to go. I have no rush to complete because the -12 will be calling me on the nice days. Plus might be fun to go EAB this time as Rans doesn't offer ELSA. Thinking nut plates already instead of timmermans and rivnuts. Good luck!
Are you getting your S 21 with the 915? I think if I go with the s 21 Im going to go with io-340.