What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Match Drilling Roll Bar

Hello. The plans (page 24iS-02, step 5) state to match drill the roll bar assembly while it is attached to the F-1231D Roll Bar Bases. I phoned Van?s support and they verified that procedure. Did you guys find that you had to sit inside the fuselage to match drill the holes on the inside curve? Thanks.
Regards,
Damien Graham
12-1072

It necessary to meet whatever body contortions are necessary to ensure drill is picking up center of hole and that drill bit is square to the surface.

Have fun?

It seems like it would be easier to match drill the holes when the roll bar assembly is flat on a table, but I guess that it might not lead to a properly aligned roll bar, so into the fuselage I will go!! Thanks.
Regards,
Damien Graham
12-1072

It seems like it would be easier to match drill the holes when the roll bar assembly is flat on a table, but I guess that it might not lead to a properly aligned roll bar, so into the fuselage I will go!! Thanks.
Regards,
Damien Graham
12-1072

All of the iS fuselage builds I have been involved with; this was done standing beside the fuselage from the outside. You are final drilling existing holes to proper size..... it takes very little force/effort exerted on the drill.

I just found that by turning the fuselage on its side and letting the roll bar assembly hang out from the table that I am able to access the holes to be match drilled without having to climb into the fuselage.

I was able to do it easily with the fuselage on the ground (on a piece of carpet). There are a LOT of holes to final drill (plus the exterior-surface holes which then get countersunk!). For the holes which were on the curved surfaces of the rollbar, it was a little difficult to make sure you were drilling straight in... and I'll admit not 100% of mine were as straight as I would have liked... but were acceptable.

Take your time... and don't hurt your back while leaning over constantly..

Back