What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weights of Dynon and Garmin AOA Pitot units

Well Known Member
I have been reading up on pitot/AOA options since I'm getting to a point where I should install something before I button up the bottom wing skin...

On Aircraft Spruce, they list the weight of the Garmin system as 2.17 lb, where the Dynon weighs in at 1.07 lb, based on summing the weights of the individual components listed in the installation instructions. Are these numbers real? I assume the Garmin note contains the heater controller and possibly installation related components such as tubing.

Anyone have a real world number on this? As I understand it the Dynon pitot/AOA can be used with either Dynon/AFS or Garmin systems. Can the GAP 26 be used with the Dynon/AFS EFIS units? Or does its control box only talk on the G3X CANbus?

If they are basically interchangeable I would go with the lighter unit, and the Dynon happens to have a lower list price, too...

Having installed both I would guess they are the same. Are you looking at probe only vs probe and regulator?

The weight you are seeing is likely the stand alone AOA system with a GSU 25 and a GAP 26. If you are looking at a Garmin G3X system, you will just need the GAP 26 Pitot AOA probe. There are three versions of this probe. Here are the weights of each version:
Unheated GAP 26: .33 lbs
Heated Unregulated GAP 26: .39 lbs
Heated Regulated GAP 26: .75 lbs

Thanks,
Levi

Team X Project Manager

The weight you are seeing is likely the stand alone AOA system with a GSU 25 and a GAP 26. If you are looking at a Garmin G3X system, you will just need the GAP 26 Pitot AOA probe. There are three versions of this probe. Here are the weights of each version:
Unheated GAP 26: .33 lbs
Heated Unregulated GAP 26: .39 lbs
Heated Regulated GAP 26: .75 lbs

Thanks,
Levi

Team X Project Manager

Levi,

Thanks for the response! Is the temperature regulation handled internally to the GAP 26 itself, or some other component of the system, such as a separate control unit or a display?

Levi,

Thanks for the response! Is the temperature regulation handled internally to the GAP 26 itself, or some other component of the system, such as a separate control unit or a display?

The regulated heated GAP 26 has a separate control box. The quoted weight above includes the GAP 26 probe with the control box.

Thanks,
Levi

Dynon Pitot Tube Weights

The Dynon heated Pitot and controller weigh .71 lbs and the unheated version weighs in at .36 lbs

Back