What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Io-540-D4A5 narrow deck

bryanflood

Well Known Member
Hello all,

I am overhauling an IO-540-D4A5 narrow deck. It came with a two part camshaft. Unfortunately the parts catalogs I have only show the part numbers for the one piece camshaft. The overhaul manual has a picture of the two-piece cam but I need the part numbers for the hex head bolts, lockplate and spacer. Does anyone have an old Lycoming parts catalog to help identify these part numbers? And others I am running across?

https://postimg.cc/gwXPBMSJ

Thanks,

Bryan

Hello all,

I am overhauling an IO-540-D4A5 narrow deck. It came with a two part camshaft. Unfortunately the parts catalogs I have only show the part numbers for the one piece camshaft. The overhaul manual has a picture of the two-piece cam but I need the part numbers for the hex head bolts, lockplate and spacer. Does anyone have an old Lycoming parts catalog to help identify these part numbers? And others I am running across?

https://postimg.cc/gwXPBMSJ

Thanks,

Bryan

I don't have a catalog that shows the two piece.

The bolts are just bolts and very few of these have part numbers. They are typically called out something like STD-5/16-18. The spacer is just to center the tach shaft and unlikely that it is worn, though you should be able to measure for out of round, as that is how it would likely wear. If you are using electronic RPM indication, I would leave the tach shaft and spacer out of the build and then get a cap to cover the area.

You should be able to call a parts house like ASI or Colorado air parts to get the # for the retainers. My cam was pitted and ended up moving to a one piece cam and the accy case re-machining.

Larry

Last edited:
Call Ly-Con

Call Ly-Con. Not only would they have the part numbers, but I would expect they would have the parts and would sell them to you at a fair price.

They are great guys and they try to help when they can.

I have an old -540 parts and overhaul manual that should have the info you need, but wont be able to get to it for a week. If you don't get it before then, email me at [email protected] and I will look it up for you then.

Brian

Last edited:
IO-540-D4A5

Thanks everyone for the help with the CAM.

One more dilemma, I have cleaned off my cylinder hold down plates P/N: 69531 by walnut blasting them. Worked great, removed all of the old paint, but not the black coating which appears to be perhaps a black oxide. Unfortunately there are two of the plates that appear to have some surface corrosion that I would like to bead blast off, but I am certain that would take off the corrosion protection. I am wondering if anyone knows how these are coated. I have heard that these could be zinc plated, but this would require heat treatment and could cause embriddlement. Does anyone know of another option? Or should I just buy some new ones, my guess is they are expensive.

Thanks,

Bryan

hold down plates

There is a lycoming SI I believe SI1228A to grind the corners of the plates to make sure they seat properly. If you have to grind them they will need plated. I use a company in Oregon but if you have a prop shop in your area I know a lot of them do their own plating.

Jesse
970-874-7575

Back