What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GAD 27 WIG-WAG setting

Bavafa

Well Known Member
Just wondering if anyone has enabled the automatic WIG-WAG setting on GAD27 that is controlled thru airspeed and can provide us some feedback. The manual indicate that we can set it to automatically turn the WIG-WAG on once hit a certain airspeed but it looks like it works above the set airspeed and designed not to work during pattern/final approach. I would think this is the area (pattern altitude/speed) that we want additional visibility and would want it to turn on instead of during cruise speed/altitude.

Any feedback on actual usage/usefulness of this would be appreciate it.

I have mine set at 70mph so it is always flashing unless I flip the manual switch to landing/taxi lights on. At this point the logic recognizes the switch as a higher priority and keeps the lights on steady. See sec 35.4.28 External Lights Configuration Page in Garmin G3X Installation Manual 190-01115-01_AF, Jul 2018.

Flash Selection: Flash Both Lights
Automatic Flashing: Enabled, 70 MPH
Light Priority: Switch

I have mine set at 70mph so it is always flashing unless I flip the manual switch to landing/taxi lights on. At this point the logic recognizes the switch as a higher priority and keeps the lights on steady. See sec 35.4.28 External Lights Configuration Page in Garmin G3X Installation Manual 190-01115-01_AF, Jul 2018.

Flash Selection: Flash Both Lights
Automatic Flashing: Enabled, 70 MPH
Light Priority: Switch

Thanks Ken, I understood this part. What I was not fully on board with is the speed that the lights will flash. Ideally, I would have expected to set the speed for around pattern speed to have the lights to flash which one wants to have the most visibility but not during cruise speed. I guess G3X logic works the other way around.

Thanks Ken, I understood this part. What I was not fully on board with is the speed that the lights will flash. Ideally, I would have expected to set the speed for around pattern speed to have the lights to flash which one wants to have the most visibility but not during cruise speed. I guess G3X logic works the other way around.

I agree, I would like to be able to set WW on below a specified speed, this way they would auto flash in the pattern and then go off in cruise.
It would be nice if we had the option.

Last edited:
So why wouldn't you just set the change over point at just above landing/take off speed?

That way you're in wigwag mode in all phases of flight, apart from when you're just about wheels on ground.
Wigwagging the lights makes you a whole lot more visible from a distance, which is just as relevant to cruise phase as well.

I've recently been thinking about making the Flyleds wigwag function airspeed aware, so this is relevant to me too!

So why wouldn't you just set the change over point at just above landing/take off speed?

That way you're in wigwag mode in all phases of flight, apart from when you're just about wheels on ground.
Wigwagging the lights makes you a whole lot more visible from a distance, which is just as relevant to cruise phase as well.

I've recently been thinking about making the Flyleds wigwag function airspeed aware, so this is relevant to me too!

Hello Paul,

This is exactly the way the GAD 27 is programmed to work. You have a user configurable speed, above which the lights can be configured to automatically turn on and start flashing on takeoff.

On landing, when you slow down below this configurable speed, the lights stop flashing and follow the light switch and either turn on solid to support landing at night, or turn off for landing during the day - your choice.

You can also configure/wire the system to be totally manual. With a simple SPDT switch, you can have "Lights On Solid", "Lights Off", and "Lights on Flashing" choices.

Taking advantage of all the inputs on the GAD 27, you could have 3 SPST switches. One for the landing light, one for the taxi light, and one for flashing which would give you the most flexibility in which light(s) were turned on/off and whether or not they were flashing. When the flashing discrete is grounded, it doesn't matter what the other light switch inputs are doing - the lights will start flashing. Should you fly into clouds and want to turn the flashing off, there is a dedicated switch to control this.

There is a great amount of flexibility in how the lights can be operated with the GAD 27 from full manual to semi-automatic.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Wig wag both position and landing lights?

Flyleds provides the option to Wig Wag the position lights.....what did those of you do that have the FLyleds and separate landing lights? Are you wig wagging both or just not enabling the FLYleds option and wig wagging only the landing/taxi lights?

Back