What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odd Christmas Present

simatos

Well Known Member
For my Canadian colleagues, just found out the for the half dozen smaller general aviation airports in the Vancouver area, as a reward for flying in and buying fuel, burgers and pie for the last 10 years we will now be asked to pay $25 to land at these airports. Another kick in the crankcase for the little guy. Looks like I will be cheaper to fly to Bellingham Wa. They are certainly happier to see me there.

Happy holidays everyone
Gary

And the US Congress pushing for ATC privatization puts Canada up as an example of how well it all works not affecting the average GA flyer.

I don't understand what effect ATC privatization has to do with airport administration... Aren't the two separate entities?

For my Canadian colleagues, just found out the for the half dozen smaller general aviation airports in the Vancouver area, as a reward for flying in and buying fuel, burgers and pie for the last 10 years we will now be asked to pay $25 to land at these airports. Another kick in the crankcase for the little guy. Looks like I will be cheaper to fly to Bellingham Wa. They are certainly happier to see me there.

Happy holidays everyone
Gary

Would that be the Terminal Service Charge for the Appendix B airports here -

http://www.navcanada.ca/EN/products-and-services/Pages/Customer Guide to Charges_EN_POSTED_v2.pdf

Or is it some other sort of landing fee?

Never heard of a landing fee

I fly out of Victoria and visit the lower mainland regularly. I have never heard of a landing fee anywhere in BC except YVR. Where did you hear of this fee?

Gary:

Are you confusing a landing fee with an FBO ramp fee? I think there's an FBO in Kelowna that's charging such a fee. Don't know if it's waived if you buy fuel...

Looks like Boundary Bay is starting to charge a $25 "landing and service fee", waved if buying some (expensive) fuel. Starts in January of 2018. Oh well, just go to delta airpark, its less than 2 miles away and has cheaper fuel, and no flight schools plugging up the circuit.

Totally possible other airports are jumping on the bandwagon as well.

http://czbb.com/fees

Alex

Last edited:
Sounds like fake news. None of the pilots I know in the lower mainland have heard of this. I fly out of Victoria, a major international airport, and there are no plans for such a fee for private GA aircraft.

Sounds like fake news. None of the pilots I know in the lower mainland have heard of this. I fly out of Victoria, a major international airport, and there are no plans for such a fee for private GA aircraft.

Rob- look at the link in my reply above. ZBB is saying its a new fee as of Jauary 1st 2018. YPK still advertises free landings on their website.

Pitt Meadows will also start Jan 1st to charge the $25. The flying schools are the ones that will really be badly affected. And yes Delta Airpark is now my new destination for coffee and pie. All rather short sighted. My fuel and burger spend at Boundry Bay is probably $100 per month and I have so many really good buddies over there. Its a real shame.

Pitt Meadows will also start Jan 1st to charge the $25. The flying schools are the ones that will really be badly affected. And yes Delta Airpark is now my new destination for coffee and pie. All rather short sighted. My fuel and burger spend at Boundry Bay is probably $100 per month and I have so many really good buddies over there. Its a real shame.

Where did you hear the news about YPK?

Pitt Meadows will also start Jan 1st to charge the $25.
This has been confirmed to be *false* via direct communication with YPK.

Edited to add:
False for YNJ
False for YXX (up to 6000lbs free)

still waiting to hear from ZBB

Last edited:
Back