What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv-8 in Othello, WA

Elwell81

I was flying from Pendleton, OR back home early this afternoon. I always monitor 121.5 and overheard a RV pilot calling for help (N8432). Apparently he had just departed Othello, WA and impacted something on take off and was spewing fuel from his right wing. He needed some where to go so someone could verify his gear was intact so he knew what to expect upon landing.

I quickly punched in a flight plan to Othello, but was already 100 nm west of there so I couldn't help. A Delta pilot was relaying info to the appropriate ATC so he could go somewhere with fire/rescue.

Anybody know the plane/pilot? Just wanted to make sure everything turned out OK for him. Sure is a helpless feeling to hear him on the radio and not be able to assist. I can only imagine how he was feeling, but his voice was calm as can be so I'm hoping for the best.

I have met him, his wife and airplane at Desert Aire where he is based. I will check in with his base friends.

Vincent believes he hit some FOD on take off at Othello that punctured his wing. He let all the fuel run out of that wing and landed at KMWH after declaring an emergency.
He is home safe and will retrieve his -8 soon. First look shows only skin damage.

Wow, that?s one heck of an emergency scenario. I?m glad he got it on the ground safely, and hope he?ll come up freq with an outbrief.
How much fuel was left in the other wing once the damaged tank drained?
How much trouble did he have flying the heavy wing?

Bravo to Vincent.

Wow, that?s one heck of an emergency scenario. I?m glad he got it on the ground safely, and hope he?ll come up freq with an outbrief.

Bravo to Vincent.

I can report that flying with one tank empty and one full is no problem and I regularly do this. I run auto fuel in the right side and 100LL in the left side. I want to use as much auto fuel as I can and as little 100 as I can, this results in returning home from the Sunday run every week with a nearly empty or even fully empty right side tank while the left side is nearly full.

I would tape over the hole in the damaged tank and fly it home on the good tank.

Auto gas? What type of engine and compression ratio on your cylinders? I thought auto gas was a no-no. Educate me, please.

Bravo to Vincent.

Yes, he kept a calm head and chose Moses Lake/Grant County for it?s emergency crew just incase.

I can report that flying with one tank empty and one full is no problem and I regularly do this. I run auto fuel in the right side and 100LL in the left side. I want to use as much auto fuel as I can and as little 100 as I can, this results in returning home from the Sunday run every week with a nearly empty or even fully empty right side tank while the left side is nearly full.

I would tape over the hole in the damaged tank and fly it home on the good tank.

It was said he planned on bringing his bird home today. They saw no spar damage yesterday.

Auto gas? What type of engine and compression ratio on your cylinders? I thought auto gas was a no-no. Educate me, please.

Search for it here on VAF, you will find lots of information on burning auto fuel.

I have an IO-360-A1A, this is the 8.7 to 1 angle valve engine, it is not approved to operate on anything less than 100 so I use 100 for ground ops, landings and takeoffs then reduced power climb and cruise on the clear 92 auto fuel.

I am OK and Thanks

Departing Othello WA October 14, 2017 with full fuel I decided to test the frangible connectors of one of their PAPI unit boxes. They work. Unfortunately the connectors and the PAPI unit box didn't survive the test.

I also thought I would test the structural strength of my right wing and fuel tank. The fuel tank failed but the wing passed...almost.

I also decided to do this test with my wife in the back seat to test her reaction to stress induced by fuel spewing out from under the right wing. She passed but just to make sure I declared an emergency.

On a more serious note, even though my takeoff was a complete fiasco, the RV8 took an incredible hit and yet held together long enough for us to safely land 30nm away as if nothing had happened. Sitting on the ramp she shows no indication of the abuse she suffered at the hands of her pilot. It is only when you look underneath the wing that things look different.

My wife thinks I handled the situation 'very professionally' but truth to tell, professionals generally prefer to stay on the runway during takeoff.

I would like to thank everyone for their help and concern. Special thanks to the Air Traffic Controllers, the pilots on the radio, and especially Grant County Approach and Tower. A special thanks to the MillionAire Club and Columbia Pacific Aviation (CPA) at Grant County International (KWMH).

At this point in time, the Starboard (right) tank is toast, the flap has a repairable gash on bottom, the elevator fiberglass tip needs to be repaired/replaced and the spar is slightly deformed in one spot near point of impact. Other than that my RV8 is OK and yes it flies fine on one tank.

The wing root shows no sign of damage including the tank flange which has the break away modification. The internal spar bolts have undisturbed torque seal and there is no obvious skin distortion on the wing.

The fuel tank punctures (2 of them 1' apart roughly 2" square are directly next to the spar leading edge and in front of the two inspection panels. With these panels removed, there is no sign of spar damage, but the front of the spar (with fuel tank removed) tells a different story. The deformation is slight, but to me (And to Vans) the spar is compromised and thus not airworthy.

I will post some pictures to my blog site when I am up to it.

Where do I go from here? Well, I have sent some pictures to VANs asking about spar repair/replace options. I will be scanning the forums for posts from those of you who have tread this depressing path. So far I have done little other than respond to information requests from the FAA, insurance, etc. and look at very used and grossly overpriced GA aircraft pictures/videos with horrid antique panels.

I refuse to end with 'be safe'. Point of Fact is that none of us sets out to have an accident. Instead, I wish you all 'good landings'.

Regards,
Vince Himsl
RV8 N8432

Last edited:
Looking at the pictures on your blog and thinking of the spar replacement, I think it would be just as easy to build the entire wing again. They do go together pretty quickly...

That is VANs Assessment

VAN's told me that as well.

I am also checking to see if I can get a quick build wing from VANs.

Thanks,
Vince

Abort!

Please, Please, Please..don't continue a takeoff after you've hit something. Chop the power, pull the mixture, fuel off, master off, ignition off and GET OUT! Assume the plane is leaking fuel and you've got a major fire hazard. Assume that the aircraft has been structurally compromised and won't make it into the air, much less 30 miles. You're very lucky. It could have turned out much,much worse for both of you. Glad that you survived to talk about it.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Testing

Thx for sharing your testing! I don't think my wife would of have passed that part of the stress test as well as yours. I'm sure I would have recieved so many wacks on the back of my head that I would not of recovered.

Glad to hear your wife and you are OK The plane can be repaired and life moves on.

Try not to beat yourself up to much. You encountered a problem, kept your cool, dealt with the problem and landed. Good Job

Please, Please, Please..don't continue a takeoff after you've hit something. Chop the power, pull the mixture, fuel off, master off, ignition off and GET OUT! Assume the plane is leaking fuel and you've got a major fire hazard. Assume that the aircraft has been structurally compromised and won't make it into the air, much less 30 miles. You're very lucky. It could have turned out much,much worse for both of you. Glad that you survived to talk about it.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Every situation is totally different, and there is no single answer. You cannot simply say "abort every takeoff if you hit something" as there is many reasons an aborted takeoff could be much, much more dangerous.

I really admire the OP for sharing his experience, as experience is how we all learn. Thank you, and best of luck with the repair process, please keep us up to date.

Sounds to me like the situation was handled very well given the circumstances. Don't let the armchair quarterbacks tell you otherwise.

Alex

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing!

... I refuse to end with 'be safe'. Point of Fact is that none of us sets out to have an accident. Instead, I wish you all 'good landings'. ...
Vince, thanks for sharing the story, really happy to hear it turned out ok. It's good to know I'm building a tank! :D

Some additional info

I have 500hrs total time; 200+ hours in my RV8.

I don't mind the arm chair quarter backing. I have done it myself. Problem is, the accident (and the problem) began when I lifted the tail, maybe even before.

I will be filling out the NTSB report sometime this weekend. After that I will add some comments about what I think (and most of you probably suspect) happened.

The FAA inspected my RV8 and I found out that the difference between an 'incident' and an 'accident' is whether or not there were injuries (no) and whether there was damage to a major structural component or assembly. As the spar is a major structural component, my event is officially now an accident. Also, when there is an incident/accident the plane is under the control of the FAA and NTSB until they release it.

VAN's is pretty straight forward on any spar damage...the spar has to be replaced. They do not sell parts for the spar. Bending back in place although tempting is not an option.

My friend suggested I approach VAN's with an offer to give them my damaged wing in return for a discount on a new one. Anyone tried that?

Moving forward, I have the older (cir. 2004) style spar/wing but Van's says I can slide in a new quick build wing. I may consider just rebuilding the wing, but for me, building the RV is something I only wanted to do once.

Again, 'good landings'
Vince

Last edited:
So nice to have shared this incident

This was well worded and as such made it painfully obvious to this reader it was something that could easily happen to any pilot!

Also pointed out the fact that it was :

1/ manageable and well managed
2/ survivable and that you did in fact survive the "incident"

Not many would post this for fear of reprisals and arm chair pilots offering what should have been done.

Thanks again and it did entrench in me that I am building a pretty stout aircraft and that when stuff happens a good pilot can expect this plane and his cargo to survive!

Dave

Every situation is totally different, and there is no single answer. You cannot simply say "abort every takeoff if you hit something" as there is many reasons an aborted takeoff could be much, much more dangerous.

I really admire the OP for sharing his experience, as experience is how we all learn. Thank you, and best of luck with the repair process, please keep us up to date.

Sounds to me like the situation was handled very well given the circumstances. Don't let the armchair quarterbacks tell you otherwise.

Alex

Agreed.

Sometimes the safer course of action is to deal with it airborne, assuming that's an option.

Back