What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which finish do you like better?

Which finish do you like better?

• Carbon Fiber

Votes: 34 65.4%
  • Wood

Votes: 18 34.6%

• Total voters

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
2016003.JPG

STANDARD.jpg

Last edited:
Forget the looks: How do they feel? Top one looks like it might feel just a bit too "slick". I like just a tiny bit of stickiness or friction.
But for looks, I'm partial to wood. But purely a personal preference.

I don't understand the purpose of this poll.

I'm on the fence, can go either way, so I figured I'd let you guys pick for me .. and I was curious what folks liked :)

Last edited:
I once had a sailboat with a wooden tiller handle. I carefully refinished it to a high gloss, and thereafter found that annoying. Turns out that a bit of friction is a good thing for handles.

As far as the looks go, I prefer the carbon.

If the feel of both the grips are satisfactory, then the remaining factors are the weight of the thing and the serviceability of it. Frankly, the looks are subordinate to everything else, at least in my opinion.

Dave

I like the carbon.

I would say the reason for the poll is to get other peoples opinions and have fun including other people...just my thoughts

To me, the wood "look" is out of place in a hand-built metal aeroplane.

Real wood has a tactile feel that has its own appeal, but a wood vinyl wrap wouldn't be the same.

If the carbon were real I'd probably like it a bit more. But its just a finish. A solid black would be my preference over either one.

I voted for the carbon weave

...however - I have one of the spongy Ray Allen grips with a singe PTT switch on top. It works well but I rarely "grip" it and generally fly with my left forearm resting on my left thigh and my left index and middle fingers and thumb gently guiding the stick just bellow the grip. Control inputs are usually very light. I have to raise my hand up to activate the PTT switch.

Jim Sharkey
RV6

Back