What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire temperature rating

rv6builder

Well Known Member
I've got a good scource (free) of heavy gauge wire, I am hoping to use for running my alternator (#8) and starter (#2) cables. Its high quality industrial stuff but the problem is its only rated for 105 degrees C. Any thoughts on suitability for inside the engine compartment?

I used high strand count flexible 8 ga wire for the alternator, it and the two other wires are inside fire sleeve and well supported.

It's obviously not 'best'. Your task is to decide when you can apply the principle of 'better is the enemy of good enough'.

I used welding cable for battery, starter, and alternator wiring, and for the primary runs into the cockpit from the contactor(s). Various sizes as appropriate. Tradeoffs are much better flexibility (and lower cost, but that's not a significant factor) but thicker insulation with the welding cable. Additional advantage is that if you run out, a trip to the local welding supply's aviation department gets you moving again.

Many thousands of factory built a/c were wired with similar temperature-rated insulation (and much worse stuff), before the higher tech PTFE & related insulations came along. Very few went down in flames due to the temperature rating of the wire insulation.

Now, you get to decide. :)

Charlie

Back