What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taking My Dog For a Flight

Ms.Welch

Guys, I plan on taking my dog with me while I fly. I know it may sound a little crazy, but I really would like my best buddy to experience it at least one in his lifetime. Do you think it's possible? Any thoughts?

Guys, I plan on taking my dog with me while I fly. I know it may sound a little crazy, but I really would like my best buddy to experience it at least one in his lifetime. Do you think it's possible? Any thoughts?

I think the real question to ask is: "Do you think your best buddy wants to experience it at least once in his lifetime"? You're in the best position to answer that question. I suspect some dogs would say "bring it on" others "no way"! Good advice on the mutt muffs.

Jim

I think the main thoughts to consider are; the size of the dog and can this be accomplished in a RV3?

In a side X side seating arrangement, I wouldn't hesitate taking my beloved hairy Pal along. But in my tandem -4, there's no way I'd leave him quarantined behind me.

I fly with my 85# ridgeback routinely, most recently FL to VA and back. I take the seat back out of the passenger side and lay the seat back cushion into the baggage compartment so he has plenty of room to lay down. He wears a harness clipped to the seatback bulkhead, and also wears mutt muffs. I have also flown smaller rescue dogs that ride in the baggage area on a small dog bed.

He generally sits up and watches while we taxi and then curls up and sleeps in the air. I did a few taxi tests with him and plenty of treats before flight to make sure he was okay with it. He also has a short enough tether to keep him from climbing into my lap.

All this works for him, but he is a pretty calm and trusting dog. Definitely expose yours slowly with lots of treats. We started out just sitting in the plane and getting used to it.

Chris

Last edited:
I take my 55 pound lab with us all the time. My wife, two teenagers, luggage, and our dog (plus full fuel....love the RV-10 !!)

The dog sleeps in the back floor board. Loves it. Is always excited to go. No ear muffs and she doesn't seem bothered.

Dogs-always tether

A friends golden was in the backseat. Near rotation speed dog decided to climb into pilots lap. Plane totaled as it went into a ditch.

Careful!

Another friends young retriever got Hypoxia about 12,000' and did not revive until they came down.

Last edited:
Foam Ear Plugs

I just spoke with a recently retired small animal vet/pilot/builder about this issue, as I'm going to need to fly my daughter's French Bulldog from Michigan to Rhode Island.
He seemed to think that mutt muffs don't work well, as the seal is typically compromised. He suggested soft foam plugs inserted deeply into the ears (too shallow and the dog will likely shake them out). He tells me that the overall ear canal is quite long and makes about a 70 degree bend along the way, making it impossible to touch the eardrum.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Just be careful not to keep your pet at higher altitudes for too long. you might want to check with your vet but my understanding is that dogs can get altitude physiological difficulties way before we do.

We take our dog often, but always have her where the mutt muffs.
On my PilotsNPaws missions, I don't use them as it's a one time event.
DixieFlys.jpeg

Another friends young retriever got Hypoxia about 12,000' and did not revive until they came down.

i've taken puppies (8-10week rescues) up to 17,000ft for over an hour with no issues

i routinely take my 100lb german shepherd and 6lb chihuahua to 12,000-15000 with no issues for a 45min flight

YMMV with hypoxia, but the dogs seem to handle altitude just fine, i have never had an issue, and have a hood/oxygen helmet for the pups if they should need them, but so far have not needed

Last edited:
We take our German Shepherd (55lb) with us whenever possible. We have taken her to Idaho, Oregon and a few other places. She doesn't care for it on the way out but on the way back she is happy to return home. We have got the ear muff but it does not stay on, it was a waste of $ for us.

I take my 55 pound lab with us all the time. My wife, two teenagers, luggage, and our dog (plus full fuel....love the RV-10 !!)

The dog sleeps in the back floor board. Loves it. Is always excited to go. No ear muffs and she doesn't seem bothered.

Humans have exposed themselves to high noise that caused hearing loss (because they didn't know any better), and never felt like they needed to complain either.

As labs age, their hearing is usually the first thing to go. I think it is worth protecting even if they don't know any better either.

Picked him up Monday in Great Falls. Three hours back home. He slept most of the way with an occasional stir from the constant turbulence. He was kenneled beside me and the kennel was strapped down with the seat belts.
If flying with him becomes a regular thing, hearing protection and a secure way to hold him safe in turbulence would be something I will look into more. He will be too big for a kennel, sooner than we would like. I think he has gotten bigger in the three days we have had him.

2yv2lo1.jpg

Humans have exposed themselves to high noise that caused hearing loss (because they didn't know any better), and never felt like they needed to complain either.

As labs age, their hearing is usually the first thing to go. I think it is worth protecting even if they don't know any better either.

Well said Scott!

Jim

It's not a good idea to take a dog flying. Better let some one else do it, because when asked about the landing they are brutally honest.

"Ruff" "Ruff Ruff"

My dog is a 60-pound Golden Retriever. It will be memorable if I take him on such an adventurous trip.
Aside from earmuffs, I suppose I need to get him a harness for his safety, right?

We have got the ear muff but it does not stay on, it was a waste of $ for us.

You need a bit more discipline. On one of our early flights 'Champ' pulled his Muttmuffs off before we even got in the airplane. I immediately took him back to the hangar and left him there. Dogs are pack animals, they want to be with you. Ever since, when I pull the plane out, Champ sits in the hangar staring at the Muttmuffs. Once they're on, he trots out to the plane. He usually just sleeps in the back seat.

easy solution

Adopt a deaf dog! :D

Our little mutt was born completely deaf and has no issues flying. He is also the easiest dog to take on a walk, since he is totally oblivious to other barking dogs and loud cars/motorcycles.

IMG_0926-M.jpg

Glad to see realism and compassion. Sorry to be a downer, but dogs' hearing is a lot more acute and sensitive than humans' hearing, so what sounds loud to humans will be even louder to dogs. Hunting dogs exposed to shooting regularly go deaf. How long would you expect your own hearing to last if you fly without hearing protection? Or with non-noise-canceling headsets that can't even make a seal? Why do people convince themselves that just because their faithful friend doesn't know any better or makes the best of things there's no problem?

I love dogs and dog lovers, and obviously those posting about bringing their best friends with them are dog lovers. I also greatly admire those who rescue dogs with their planes. But I am just sorry to think of the poor dogs being condemned to deafness in their middle/old ages because of high noise exposure. RVs are loud (as are other aircraft) and they damage hearing without protection (and probably to some extent even with protection). The vet's advice to insert foam earplugs sounds like the best so far, along with ear muffs.

Last edited:
Do your dogs move around much while on the plane? That's also one of my concerns.

My border collies do not. They lay down and go to sleep. Occasionally they'll look out the window on take off and landing, but that's rare. This is in a 4-place non-RV with the rear seat removed, not sure how they'd do in the front.

CamTom12, I think I need to purchase a seat or a dog harness for my dog to be secure whenever we travel. I was thinking of purchasing the same dog harnesses that I saw online. Well, they are primarily for car use, but I think it can also be used on a plane to keep dog firmly fastened. Any thoughts about this? Would it be a wise purchase at all?

Last edited:
Just guessing I'd say its probably worth it even if your dog is calm. In case the worst happens it would help them from becoming a projectile and causing more injury to themselves or to you.

Kitty Cats

Does Pets and Paws ever give anyone kitty cats to transport? If so, how do "they" do? I can't imagine a cat not being terrified of the engine noise.:eek:

Back