What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your 6/6A project!

Progress

Actual progress. Wings on with the real, final bolts.

wing-assy-jan-2016-A_zpsimdc7ghl.jpg

We should start a slooooow build club

Outstanding Gil. Must feel great to see your projects from over the years turning into a actual airplane. :)

Disappearing parts

Outstanding Gil. Must feel great to see your projects from over the years turning into a actual airplane. :)

Yes... it's nice when the piles of small parts around the place start disappearing because they have been finally installed. :)

Nice progress Gil . . . and nice looking Tiger and hangar! I'm currently on my third Tiger.

Regards,

Fernando

Thanks Mike,

The hangar depth of 50 ft. works out nicely with the max spacing of the cross structure at 25ft (no snow load here :) )

Fits two planes in easily -

hangar_zps7zk0osin.jpg

When you go to sell the Tiger, you can save the N number for your final project...... an RV12.......

What a fun job installing all those close tolerance bolts through the wing spars. Reminds me of a saying an old school friend would use... "I'd sooner have my backside rubbed with a brick." John

I think of all the tasks I had to do while building my -6A I hated wing assembly the most. I counted them, and there are 36 bolts PER WING inside the fuselage. Many of them go through the main landing gear mounts, and every one was a small victory! One of the guys in my chapter had his -6A wings on, then he removed them to move his project to a different airport. That takes determination and courage. I think I would set fire to mine if I had to do something like that!

Jim Bower
St. Louis, MO
RV-6A N143DJ...flying since 2011

All of the bits together

Somewhat of a breakthrough...:)

I knew all the "bits" fitted, but they had never been assembled at the same time.

It actually all went together and even looks like a plane. Will be ready for W&B as soon as I make some 4 1/4" platforms for the main wheels.

assembled-A_zpsbgb15ouw.jpg

A real milestone

Awesome Gil. It's got to be exciting. Must be fun to just stare at your project and to see that all those little projects you've worked on over the years have come together into a beautiful airplane. Good for you. ;)

Knew it would happen soon ...

Somewhat of a breakthrough...:)
I knew all the "bits" fitted, but they had never been assembled at the same time.
It actually all went together and even looks like a plane. Will be ready for W&B as soon as I make some 4 1/4" platforms for the main wheels.

Gil - Fantastic - I knew you had to be close but it's great to see that photo. Guess I'll see you on the Phase 1 circuit soon. (I've only got another 39.5 hrs to go). Marana is in my test area. It's my turn to buy the burger.

Congrats on the milestone.

she's a beauty! an alum canopy fairing, very nice.

Had to on the alum fairing. The canopy is the later model (for the -7s maybe?) and came with a note saying it was a few inches longer in the front. On the -6 models this didn't really leave enough room for the glass fairing.

Forming the metal was easier than I expected, took a few hours for the first side, and then only 30 minutes or so for the second side. A one piece strip would have been too unwieldy.

Just got the W&B done, came out at 1061 lbs and 69.50 inches empty CG.
Interior cushions and carpets, no fuel, 6 qts. oil.

Seems like a good number.

The FAA liked it too

Excellent service from the Scottsdale MIDO -

pink-slip_zps7fqvjpkb.jpg

A little more prep work, and then....

Congratulations Gil!! Finishing a 6 is a real big accomplishment--definitely earned your RV grin. Safe and happy flights in Phase 1.

Congratulations! I am not too far behind you! I am a little worried about the summer heat for my test flight, if all goes well that will be in about 2 months.

YOUR WORKMANSHIP LOOKS GREAT! Good luck with the test flight!

Bill Hempel
Tucson

It flys!

Today was the big day, with a nice calm morning after a few windy days.

Getting ready, in a borrowed hangar with less taxi distance -

prep4flight_zpsyomisf2n.jpg

It takes off - lift the nose slightly and up it went at a DA of 4000 ft -

take-off_zps1sbsrvpv.jpg

And the required (and long awaited) grin after -

thumbs%20up_zpsu2fmkidl.jpg

No big surprises but some radio problems.
1. Com #2, the Apollo GX65, squealed.
2. Com #1, Skyview had a loose knob on the frequency select.

And a high CHT on take off and climb which will hopefully go down a bit as the rings are seated.

No big deal, I just stayed on the Multicom frequency, the first issue I think is an internal preset setting needed for the mic. gain, and the second is fixed with a small allen key.

Last edited:
Fantastic! Congratulations!!

Good luck in the flight testing.

Fly safe. Have fun.

Thanks Kevin.

Did you see where the hat came from? That's Victoria, BC, not Victoria TX. :)

Haven't flown to Ottawa yet, but a trip to see an old roommate in Quebec is definitely on the cards. Got Mode S and a real Class III medical. :)

Go fly every day you can...... you will never get tired of the way you feel like part of the plane.

Congratulations on your flight.....:) IAT!

Last edited:
Congratulations! Gil

You are one of the most respected and knowledgable contributers on this site. I couldnt be happier for you. Have a safe Phase 1. All the best.

Congrats

Wow I have been waiting for the day since I joined the site in 2005.
It was worth the wait.
Bob

Back