What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque value for MS21083-N5

smash

I just got to Step 10 on page 29-18 where you install the bulkhead bar assemblies and final torque the bolts. The table in 5.20 does not include any recommended values for the MS21083-N5 nuts. These are 5/16-24 nylock nuts. Does anyone know what value to use for these?

From AC-43...

ahcg71il.jpg

I just got to Step 10 on page 29-18 where you install the bulkhead bar assemblies and final torque the bolts. The table in 5.20 does not include any recommended values for the MS21083-N5 nuts. These are 5/16-24 nylock nuts. Does anyone know what value to use for these?

I have been taking a new nut and bolt and measuring the torque with a little beam torque wrench, then adding it to the standard torque. Unless something different is specified. The different brands of nuts seem to be a little different on initial torque. YMMV

Just because I am too lazy to look up some references, this is quicker.

Thanks for the replies, but I waited to hear back from tech support at Van's.

Sterling at Van's tech support says the torque should be 60-85 inch pounds. He will be adding the MS21083-N5 to a future update to table 5.20

Sterling at Van's tech support says the torque should be 60-85 inch pounds. He will be adding the MS21083-N5 to a future update to table 5.20

Keep in mind that that torque does not include the additional value that needs to be added to account for the prevailing torque of the self locking feature, as described in Section 5.

so when do you torque down the lower drag fitting nuts? It specifically calls out torquing the upper drag fitting. I have not run across this for the lower bolts. Unless it is a lot further along in the plans.

It calls out to firmly tighten down the upper and lower bolts on 29-03. Then to torque the upper on 29-13. But nothing that I could find for the lower drag fitting and the other bolts for the trip-gear only on 29-03

Then my question is what torque value for the lower drag fitting nuts.

thanks
ken

I found the instructions to final torque the bolts for the lower drag fitting and the bulkhead bar assemblies on the bottom of page 29-18.

I also found that it takes 12 of the MS21083-N5 nuts to do all this, but the kit only supplies 8. 40 cents each at ACS.....

Back