- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Like JonJay says; Maybe/Maybe not.

Even though most Amateur-Built DARs do a very through inspection, it is not a requirement. The primary requirement is to certify that the aircraft meets the requirements of the "Major Portion" rule.

A certification that doesn't involve a through inspection is most likely to be done by an FAA inspector who isn't familiar with amateur-built aircraft.
I used the FAA and this was true of my inspector, he didn't even want any panels removed except the cowl. He looked over the engine and airframe exterior, wanted to hear it run up to full power, had me better secure some wire behind the panel and looked at paperwork. It definitely would not have caught an issue like this.
FLYING!!! as of 7/22/10
Build Log
Old 07-20-2018, 11:55 AM

Exclamation Many eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by odens_14 View Post
I used the FAA and this was true of my inspector, he didn't even want any panels removed except the cowl. He looked over the engine and airframe exterior, wanted to hear it run up to full power, had me better secure some wire behind the panel and looked at paperwork. It definitely would not have caught an issue like this.
A very good reason not to pin your safety on a single inspection whoever does it.

Use the FAA to get the paperwork done (free) and then find/hire/feed as many local builders (RV and non-RV) and A&Ps you can get to inspect all of your plane. Don't have an "EAA party", just have them around one at a time so no group dynamics come into play.

Many eyes with different skill sets are a good approach.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 07-20-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
A very good reason not to pin your safety on a single inspection whoever does it.

Use the FAA to get the paperwork done (free) and then find/hire/feed as many local builders (RV and non-RV) and A&Ps you can get to inspect all of your plane. Don't have an "EAA party", just have them around one at a time so no group dynamics come into play.

Lots of good points in this thread. I have been inviting different experienced builders from our EAA chapter to come and look, and I agree that one might more varied and complete advice from individuals than from a group where some might defer to greater experience or avoid differences of opinion with strongly opinionated (and yet, skilled) folks.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post

For sure, I had multiple experienced people give mine a lookover during construction and again before I signed it off before the FAA man came.
FLYING!!! as of 7/22/10
Build Log